Mama hen’s mad about relocation

Eudy

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
Had a hen sitting on a nest, six hatched. Very unfortunate situation required us to move her and the babies immediately after hatching since the corner she was nesting in wasn’t safe. Babies are doing okay for the moment but mama is SO ANGRY and is ignoring her babies in favor of trying to escape the space we put her in.

I’m prepared to take the babies and raise them myself but wondered if there’s any way I can convince her this is still her brood. I’m worried she thinks these are random babies and her own are still in the original location… any suggestions would be appreciated!

Try and make the new situation more like the old situation as much as possible. Try putting an egg in her nest with the babies. Sometimes seeing an egg kicks them into the mindset to sit on it, then the babies can gather round. Sneak the egg out from under her the next day, and look, there are babies to care for!

I've had to move a broody on eggs and had to remake the nest better before she'd accept it. I've never had a broody reject chicks after a nest move. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom