Mama Hen Accidentally Smothered Baby.

Jun 7, 2022
Hi everyone,

I don’t usually turn to the internet to vent, but I’m pretty upset about what I found this evening. A week ago, my hen hatched 3 D’Uccle eggs and 3 Black Copper Maran eggs. I was so thrilled for the ones I had, considering I originally gave her 9 - 2 Maran eggs were broken by another hen (I promptly blocked off the nesting box) and 1 of the D’Uccle eggs disappeared (still no clue what happened).

Anyway, tonight when I went to do my head count and check on everyone, I realized I was missing one tiny baby. I found her smothered in the back of the nesting box, still limp to touch, so it hadn’t been long 😭 I am so upset about this because I feel like it could have been preventable somehow. I had the worst time brooding chicks when I started (failure to thrive; perhaps from an unhealthy breeder), and was so thrilled that everyone was happy with their mom this morning. I was even marveling earlier this week that I’ve had no chick losses this year… and to find my brood is now one smaller breaks my heart!

It’s not the mommas fault, she’s great with her babies. I’m just sad it had to happen this way, that must have been an awful way to go. 😢

I wish I could say something to make you feel better, but I doubt anyone can. It sounds like you diligently tried your best to take care of all the chicks. Sometimes, bad things happen no matter what -- not your fault, not the momma's.

I understand how you feel about a chick being smothered to death; I lost one of my favorite Cochin Bantam girls over the winter when four hens all piled into the same nest box. She was the smallest and was on the bottom. The thought of how Maxie felt still haunts me.

Best wishes that the remaining chicks grow to be strong, healthy birds, and I am sorry for the loss of your baby.

I wish I could say something to make you feel better, but I doubt anyone can. It sounds like you diligently tried your best to take care of all the chicks. Sometimes, bad things happen no matter what -- not your fault, not the momma's.

I understand how you feel about a chick being smothered to death; I lost one of my favorite Cochin Bantam girls over the winter when four hens all piled into the same nest box. She was the smallest and was on the bottom. The thought of how Maxie felt still haunts me.

Best wishes that the remaining chicks grow to be strong, healthy birds, and I am sorry for the loss of your baby.
Thank you so much for your kind words. It definitely helps to hear from someone who’s had this same experience and sympathizes 💜 It’s comforting to have reassurance that it’s nobody’s fault. I think one of the difficult things about losing chickens is most people don’t understand, because to they see it as “just” a chicken - but we know they are so much more than that!

I’m sorry to hear about your Maxie. I’m sure she had a wonderful life with you. Thank you again for your words of encouragement, they really brightened my day.

Hi everyone,

I don’t usually turn to the internet to vent, but I’m pretty upset about what I found this evening. A week ago, my hen hatched 3 D’Uccle eggs and 3 Black Copper Maran eggs. I was so thrilled for the ones I had, considering I originally gave her 9 - 2 Maran eggs were broken by another hen (I promptly blocked off the nesting box) and 1 of the D’Uccle eggs disappeared (still no clue what happened).

Anyway, tonight when I went to do my head count and check on everyone, I realized I was missing one tiny baby. I found her smothered in the back of the nesting box, still limp to touch, so it hadn’t been long 😭 I am so upset about this because I feel like it could have been preventable somehow. I had the worst time brooding chicks when I started (failure to thrive; perhaps from an unhealthy breeder), and was so thrilled that everyone was happy with their mom this morning. I was even marveling earlier this week that I’ve had no chick losses this year… and to find my brood is now one smaller breaks my heart!

It’s not the mommas fault, she’s great with her babies. I’m just sad it had to happen this way, that must have been an awful way to go. 😢
😭that is heartbreaking I’m sorry

I’m so sorry you had that loss 😢. I have had broody hens each year for about the last 5 summers and I always worry about the tiny ones out there in the coop. When the chicks all are hatched I put momma on the floor in a makeshift “nursery” with a large cardboard box with very low sides. Our nest boxes are old milk crates and quite small for a mom and her babies. We have 6 2 day olds with her now and I’m hoping she can cover them all OK when they start growing 😳. I always do tiny head counts too, but no matter how vigilant we are accidents can and do happen. Forgive yourself and know you’re a great chicken momma!! ❤️

I’m so sorry you had that loss 😢. I have had broody hens each year for about the last 5 summers and I always worry about the tiny ones out there in the coop. When the chicks all are hatched I put momma on the floor in a makeshift “nursery” with a large cardboard box with very low sides. Our nest boxes are old milk crates and quite small for a mom and her babies. We have 6 2 day olds with her now and I’m hoping she can cover them all OK when they start growing 😳. I always do tiny head counts too, but no matter how vigilant we are accidents can and do happen. Forgive yourself and know you’re a great chicken momma!! ❤️
I keep having my bantam cochin hens sit in the same box and they have now smothered 4 chicks! I am so sad about this and do not know how to set it up so the hens cannot get into the same box with a mom and baby already in it.

How awful about your chicks! I'm sorry!!

Is there any way to set a small dog kennel inside the coop and put a nest box for the mom and chicks inside so they are secured from the rest of the girls?

I've done that to separate squabbling hens, but I've never tried it with nesting ones. Hope someone can offer you a solution that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom