mama hen and 12 chicks

Jangela

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
hi i have a mother hen with 12 chicks that are 2 week old and wanted to know when will see leave them ? and at what age can chicks have mealworms.

A mother hen can leave her chicks anywhere from day one to their next hatch, depending on the broody. Do you know what breed your broody is? My broodies were using getting done when the cockerels were around 3-4 months of age (for whatever reason, I've seen hens be done with their sons sooner than with their daughters).

As far as mealworms, I've heard of people feeding their chicks them young, though I like to wait until they're a bit older. I don't think that mealworms are like honey where you have to be cautious when feeding them to young birds, though I personally like to wait.

A mother hen can leave her chicks anywhere from day one to their next hatch, depending on the broody. Do you know what breed your broody is? My broodies were using getting done when the cockerels were around 3-4 months of age (for whatever reason, I've seen hens be done with their sons sooner than with their daughters).

As far as mealworms, I've heard of people feeding their chicks them young, though I like to wait until they're a bit older. I don't think that mealworms are like honey where you have to be cautious when feeding them to young birds, though I personally like to wait.
She is a Wyandotte

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    696.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 6
hi i have a mother hen with 12 chicks that are 2 week old and wanted to know when will see leave them ? and at what age can chicks have mealworms.
Our momma hen still insists on being with her chicks at 2 months old. If we lock the chick coops before she goes in she’ll pace outside and worry about driving the chicks into a frenzy to get with her.

Our mama hen still treats her 9-week-olds as babies. And they heed her when she calls.
Her previous hatch, 2 years ago, was a singleton, and she weaned him at 4 weeks. But it was summer, and she was ready to breed again I guess. She may stay with her current kids all winter….btw previous was a cockerel, current group is 3 pullets and 1 cockerel. i re-homed 2 of her cockerels from this batch and she has NOT forgiven me.

I had a broody hen that decided to leave her babies at 2 weeks old. 2 old hens who never hatched took over.

One time I got a LO rooster chick, and gave him to a hen with a hurt wing. He was 10 weeks old. He was very dedicated to her.

Back
Top Bottom