Mama Hen Badly Hurt

MelaniaD12

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2019
we locked the girls up last night and assumed Bennie Sue was in the back. She wasn’t. Went out this morning to let them out and she’s laying by a tree with half her back missing. I took her in the garage and rinsed the wound with warm water and covered the entire area with neosporin. I’ve secluded her with water and food. Pretty sure she’s in shock. What else can I do to ease her pain? I have no idea what got her . Will she make it? She’s breathing fine but as you can see she’s in pretty bad shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 371A08C4-9785-4177-A979-C95CA7AC434A.jpeg
    371A08C4-9785-4177-A979-C95CA7AC434A.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 25
Wow. That's bad. :hugs Keep it clean and covered with the neosporin, or get some Vetrycin that you can actually spray on. I'm so sorry this happened to her. :hugs Make sure she is eating and drinking. Watch for fly strike. Keep her inside and give her time to heal.

That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along with some advice soon.

Keep her inside away from flies. She may be in shock for awhile, so keep her environment quiet and dim. Since the wounds are along her back, her air sacs or lungs may be affected. Many times chickens will recover from a wound like this, if they have not suffered internal injuries from squeezing or shaking. Look for puncture wounds on her underside and under wings that may be hidden. Do you here any air coming from her back?

Clean her wounds gently twice a day and cover with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Vetericycn or a similar wound spray are easy to use for cleaning, and you may also use saline, Clorhexidene, or Betadine. If there is a bad odor from infection, I would use the Betadine or Chlorhexidene.

When she is alert and able to swallow, offer some water or electrolytes. If she drinks, then offer some cooked egg and feed. Adding water to feed may get more fluids into her. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom