Mama hen taking baby chicks outdoors at 1 week old...normal?

mkm2

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
Missouri
One of our hens went broody about a month ago and we decided to let her hatch some eggs. One week ago she hatched out 7 baby chicks. We never separated her from the rest of our flock (11 hens total) while she sat, and we still have her and the babies all together with the other hens in the same coop. It's been going well the past week, and she takes very good care of them, but this morning she ventured outside the coop into the run, and of course all the baby chicks followed. It is 65 degrees here today and rainy, should I be worried it's too cool for the chicks? Mom does not seem worried at all, she was scratching around like crazy and all the chicks were mimicking her and following her wherever she went. She had been out with them for a good 30 minutes when it started raining pretty good and she still didn't take shelter with them. So I gathered them all up and put them back in the coop, of course then she followed. I currently have her and the chicks fenced off with some chicken wire in a corner of the coop with their food and water. I know she will venture back outside eventually if given the chance, so I wanted to make sure she stays inside for a while. Do you think she eventually would have taken them back inside? Should I be worried she would stay out with them too long in the cold, rainy weather?

It's normal. She'll want to take them out to scratch peck and dust bathe. Ours did the same. I don't let them out in the rain though because I worry about the chicks getting wet with their fluffy down. Your hen should keep them close and safe.

I trust my mommas to take care of the babies and it's very, very rare for me to lose a chick with a broody hen. Chicks can handle much cooler temps than we're led to believe when we brooder raise them. They go back under momma when they get too cold.

If it were chickens living without a coop. They would be outside from the onset.
I had 2- 4 week old chicks get lost in the woods when it was in the 50s and they did fine.
But last night I found out how tough they are. A broody brought 2 day old chicks out yesterday but apparently didn't get one back in at night. I went out late today to open up and found the chick sitting in the run. It got down to 71 and it rained all morning. The chick is just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! I guess chicks really are tougher than we give them credit for. You just hear so much about making sure they are warm enough with a heat lamp when they are chicks, and not moving them outside until they have plenty of feathers, etc. This is the first time we've had a broody hen and hatched our own chicks. I'm finding it soooo much easier to let mama raise the chicks than dealing with a brooder.

X2, unless you have too many broodies.
big_smile.png

I rarely raise chicks indoors. I have an unheated, uninsulated building I use for brooding and follow nature.
They're out there even when the building is in the 30s.
Provide a warm spot out there and plenty of cool space. That's what a hen does.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! I guess chicks really are tougher than we give them credit for. You just hear so much about making sure they are warm enough with a heat lamp when they are chicks, and not moving them outside until they have plenty of feathers, etc. This is the first time we've had a broody hen and hatched our own chicks. I'm finding it soooo much easier to let mama raise the chicks than dealing with a brooder.

And this is why I bought broody hens and went to brooding the natural way...It IS so much easier, when you have a good broody.

Be prepared that as you brood with hens, problems will crop up from time to time as some hens are better mothers than others, some hatches go better than others, some hens need more isolation than others, so you'll take some losses that might have been prevented if you were artificially brooding and hatching.

But the chicks are much stronger and develop more quickly in the natural setting, and yes acclimate to the weather incredibly fast. Even in below freezing temps! They run around in their little down jackets and run to momma as a warming hutch when needed.

Just keep them out of really inclement direct weather, watch out for possible obstacles that could incur stupid chick disasters, and predators...the little peeps do draw predators, especially hawks in my area.

Good luck with your new little brood with momma.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom