Mama hen won’t adopt chick!

Hi everyone I’m new to chickens and I have a question. I have a hen that went broody one egg hatched this Sunday so Tuesday I went to the store and bought six more day old chicks. I placed them under her Tuesday night and she seemed to accept them. she did really good with them this morning and this afternoon I noticed she was pecking at them and not letting them into the nesting box with her only the one she hatched. one has a gash on its head so I pulled all of them out of the brooder box and brought them inside. The one she hatched on her own is yellow and the ones that I bought in the store or black. Does that make a difference? And do I try to put them under her again tonight or has she rejected them for good?
She didn't sit long enough and even then, she might not accept them

I don’t understand what do you mean by she didn’t sit long enough? she hatched one egg on her own and then I place the other ones under her after her own had hatched.
Ah, sorry, I read ' she went broody on one egg Sunday..' she knows they aren't hers. I'm not sure how you can get her to accept them.

Back
Top Bottom