? mama left nest - will other eggs hatch??

dawnf

Hatching
6 Years
May 19, 2013
this is my first time to let mama hatch eggs and she did great but . . . . she had 9 eggs, (some that other chickens in the coop laid in her nest). 6 have hatched and she has gotten off the nest this morning. 1 other egg is broken all the way around and I can hear the chick inside, there is another egg that has started it hole but making no noise yet. It is a problem without mama on them now?

yes, it is a problem. i hope someone with more experience than me will come along and advise. if you have an incubator i would use it. if not i'm guessing there are ways to rig something up. you need warmth and humidity.
sorry not to be more help

thanks - that's what I thought so I have tried to rig an incubator - will see what happens - next time will be more careful on marking the eggs so they are all activated at the same time and no strays slip into the mix. Thanks again - glad to have found this forum.

Same thing here! First time letting the momma hatch the eggs. First baby hatched today, one other egg has piped and three others are left. At first, we had no idea she was hoarding the eggs, and figured we would leave well enough alone. One day we got curious and lifted her out, and she had a clutch of over 10 eggs. Way too many for her size. So, we marked six and left them in. She threw out two just last week and kept the remaining 4. However, she kept trying to add to the group. Since we had marked them, we knew which ones to remove. We knew the day was getting close, but because we didn't keep record, didn't know when to expect the hatching to begin.

We are going to probably have the same issue with her leaving the nest. She is still sitting, and we expect she might continue to for 2 more days. Next time when we notice a broody hen we will be sure to mark the eggs right away, and collect any extras.

I think the only way to save the remaining eggs is to use an incubator. Good luck.

2 have hatched now - yea
smile.png
will keep the other in the incubator and see if mama will take them in the morning - good luck with yours too.

sounds like I should wait till tomorrow night when she is settled with her other chicks to place these two with them. Will they be OK for a day without food??

I have a mamma that started with 9 eggs under her, she left the nest yesterday and being curious took a peek and found 19 eggs in the nest. She got back on the nest and we got our first cheeps this morning, how long will she stay sitting, and how long before I move her

Back
Top Bottom