Mama no more

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eastbaychicks, Jun 23, 2010.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    So.... at what age can the baby chickens withstand 50 degree temps outside at night? Do I need to put a light on them?

Mama gave up, and she's pecking at the babies. They are exactly 4 weeks old tomorrow. Oh and they're Cochins.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Your chicks will need to be at least 6 weeks old and fully feathered to cope without help eg heat lamp. My Brahma momma left hers at 5 weeks and it is about 50 degrees at night. I wrapped an old blanket around the pen at night and put hay for bedding. They are doing fine 12 days on.

Mrs Cochin will start to egg lay again soon (if she hasn't already)

Good Luck,
    Sandie

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Another two weeks and they will be fully feathered.

I'm guessing if momma left them, they'll be fine.

4. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    So for the last two nights I've been waiting until late to put her in with the babies, and she'll sleep with them that way. But then in the morning all sorts of pecking goes on.... Mama just attacks the poor little babies. We did build a very small enclosure for sleeping in, it's really about the size of three chickens standing up side by side. The babies do fall asleep on their own (all heaped together), but at that time of the night it's been still in the 70's.

Should I stop putting her in there? The feathers are all out, but just not grown in.... 2 weeks sounds about right. I'm so sad Miss Piggy gave up being a Mama so early. It was just so absolutley adorable..... and yes she's laying again. How long do you wait until all the medicated chick feed is out of her system? A week, two?

Thanks for your help! So far no health problems just getting along problems. Yea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by