1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

MAN...I'm getting old !!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmerchuck, Mar 30, 2008.

1. farmerchuck

farmerchuck In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Epping, NH
    I said to the wife....."I have to go to Walmart and get a bigger bin for the chicks."
    Then I start surfing this board and find a few people using dog kennels...." HEY...that looks familiar."
    I dig my dog's old FURRARI carrier out and low and behold there's a hole in the top like someone had a light hanging in it. HHHMMMMMMM ?????
    SO FAR...I've bought a new heatlamp and holder..had 2 in the cellar !!!
    I bought 2 new feeders and waterers...you guessed it...had 2 old ones on the shelf in the basement !!!!
    WELL..atleast I thought to use the dog's carrier before I bought a new one !!!!!
    WHO thought 42 would be so hard...can't wait for 62 !!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thats nice, I wish we had a dog carrier. What breeds or them.

3. farmerchuck

Mar 19, 2008
    Epping, NH
    RI Reds.....supposed to be all pullets...we'll see...I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 roosters though...they watch the flock.

4. mandomama

mandomama Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    42? I think I remember 42...lololol [​IMG]

We used our old dog crate for a barn kitty this winter so it wasn't available for the chicks.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    cute chickies! I also have RIR's right now.

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Rirs were my first breed of chickens.

7. Hey you can always use extra feeders/waterers...I'm retired and starting chicks in May. Lots of work to get set up but we have the brooder and indoor coop finished...thanks for the pics, they're nifty. I love RIR's.

8. farmerchuck

Mar 19, 2008
    Epping, NH
    I started with 20 lost one the first few days...I think she got smothered under a pig pile. The bigger brooder and the level waterer is making a big difference. The chicks don't have to crowd the feeder or water.
    I have one with a little poo sticking....tried to get it off. She seemed a little less active than the rest so I investigated.
    Hopefully my fussing with her bum helped.
    Sometimes I think we worry too much.

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, you just reminded me I loaned my crate to my brother months ago...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: