Man this chicken thing is heartbreaking...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryCentinel, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    ...even for a gruff old dude like me.

Tonight the little chick we were watching passed away in my hands.

We could tell she was near the end, she was gasping and hadn't eaten of drank anything other than what we had hand fed her with a dropper.

She was so sweet, and maybe I am just going soft in my middle years here, but the innocence of this little life fading away just tore me up.

We tried to make her as comfortable as possible, but finally as we tried one last time to drop some quik chick into her mouth, the little thing gave up the fight.

Godspeed little girl.

(Never though I'd be the kind of guy who would write a eulogy for a 4 day old baby chicken?)

Ah, okay, get a hold of yourself...

The upside is we have 23 happy healthy active little peepers and one suspected pterodactyl running merrily around in their brooder! ;-)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    I'm sorry for your loss. Just know how lucky that little chick was to be loved during his/her short life. I know the feeling all too well. I've had quite a few losses this past year. My two biggest heartbreaks were when a pair of foxes dug into my chicken tractor and ate 30 chicks in one night and just about a month ago I was stuck at work when a surprise storm came in and I lost 25 one month old meaties to exposure. That one was a crusher because I knew it was my fault for not taking the proper precautions to keep my chicks safe. You did everything you could to help that chick out. Just wasn't meant to be for that one. Getting more chicks will help with the pain [​IMG] R.I.P. little chicky

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I'am sorry. This happened to me when the dogs/cat cought an babby bird. [​IMG] sorry for your loss, she was luckey. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Oh, I so know how you feel. It is heartbreaking. Just a little chick, something other folks might not consider worth all that much, but it was a life. A little struggler who lost the battle to live. How can we NOT care for and about it?

[​IMG]

5. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I am so sorry for your loss. She was very fortunate to have been so lovingly cared for in her short life. [​IMG]

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I am sorry.....

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Beautifully said. Sorry.

8. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Peace to you and the tiny spark of a soul you cared for so lovingly. Fortunate are those who have allowed creatures of fur, feather and/or scale to touch their lives...their capacity for love and caring enriches this earth.

9. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Quote:While the little guy was truly lucky to be loved, you too will be forever changed by your act of kindness. It's funny how as we get a little older the greatest gift's are those given and not received.

10. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    It's just a tiny little chicken is what some would say, but I too agree that losing one, especially how you did, is so tough. My avatar pic is of my little one also lost in my hands. I cried for so long after she passed.

[​IMG] to you.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by