Man those things like to range

laurenlulu

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
I was given hens 4-5 days ago, and I let them out to free range for the first time today. They took off! They're about 1/4 mile away right now, all over my (not so nice) neighbor's woods. I dont know why I thought they would stay in my yard...

They will come back, right?

Should have kept them in their coop for at least a week. Will they come back? They may or may not. For that distance, I never had chickens forgaging that far.

No personal experience here, but most recomend that you keep chickens locked up for 2-4 weeks. So they will regard their new coop as home. Good Luck.

Imp

Sounds like it's time for a hike! Get some scratch, bread, lettuce, whatever you have- and go after them. Lead them back home with food and then confine them for a week or so.

You have to lead with the food and herd them from behind- it really helps if you can round up a helper! I do it alone, with a long stick from behind to shoo them and running in front with treats in between.

Good luck, hope the neighbor doesn't see!

well, magically at dusk they all hopped into their coop and settled in on their perch. I guess they're just used to a lot of space. That is wild- they ranged ALL OVER today. Right when it started getting dark I saw them single file walking towards the coop

I actually have a fence that seperates my yard from the neighbors- I should go ahead and fix it now, huh!!

Hey Lauren, I only keep my new birds that Im gonna free range up for about 3 or 4 days, but I only let one out a day untill I get them all out. Havent had any trouble with them going to far.
smile.png

I'd lock them up for a little bit. Tonight may have been luck.

It will be a pain but it is much more of a pain if they pick another roosting spot, believe me!!

Keep them confined for a few days. Let them out a couple at a time and see what they do. If they continue to range out that far you might have to put up fences.

Back
Top Bottom