Man those things like to range

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by laurenlulu, Mar 22, 2009.

1. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I was given hens 4-5 days ago, and I let them out to free range for the first time today. They took off! They're about 1/4 mile away right now, all over my (not so nice) neighbor's woods. I dont know why I thought they would stay in my yard...

They will come back, right?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Should have kept them in their coop for at least a week. Will they come back? They may or may not. For that distance, I never had chickens forgaging that far.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

No personal experience here, but most recomend that you keep chickens locked up for 2-4 weeks. So they will regard their new coop as home. Good Luck.

Imp

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    You might want to try to round up your chickens. That's an awful long way from a coop that they've only known for 4-5 days. Got a big fish net?

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like it's time for a hike! Get some scratch, bread, lettuce, whatever you have- and go after them. Lead them back home with food and then confine them for a week or so.

You have to lead with the food and herd them from behind- it really helps if you can round up a helper! I do it alone, with a long stick from behind to shoo them and running in front with treats in between.

Good luck, hope the neighbor doesn't see!

6. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    well, magically at dusk they all hopped into their coop and settled in on their perch. I guess they're just used to a lot of space. That is wild- they ranged ALL OVER today. Right when it started getting dark I saw them single file walking towards the coop

I actually have a fence that seperates my yard from the neighbors- I should go ahead and fix it now, huh!!

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Hey Lauren, I only keep my new birds that Im gonna free range up for about 3 or 4 days, but I only let one out a day untill I get them all out. Havent had any trouble with them going to far. [​IMG]

8. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm glad they came back!!! That was a pretty good story of how people can learn from their expiriences!!! [​IMG]

9. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'd lock them up for a little bit. Tonight may have been luck.

It will be a pain but it is much more of a pain if they pick another roosting spot, believe me!!

10. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Keep them confined for a few days. Let them out a couple at a time and see what they do. If they continue to range out that far you might have to put up fences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by