managed by another means

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BairleaFarm, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I sold alot of chickens a month or three ago. I had a coyote come through(during the day mind you) and take most of what i had. I didnt have enough to keep up with breeding so I sold or gave away the few remaing chickens i had. I will rebuild the pens and stock over the winter. My new motto - go strong, electrified, and bullet proof or go home. [​IMG] Here are the few ive got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Sorry about your loss I too have predator issues. Right now I have seven guineas in lock down after loosing 36 to a variety preds. I am looking into hot wire myself but the problem I have here is it is very dry in the desert and often times the ground doesnt complete the circuit through the hot wire. I did find a manufacturer that makes Bipolar hotwire meaning there are positive and negative circuits going through the

Thats a cute turkey what breed is he/she.... I did have a Pair of wild ones once but still I know very little about them, coyotes got them. I eventually want to get a couple more as pets.

3. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Thanks I was told she was a black spanish but some of the people here dont think so. I dont know either way. I guess the issue here is its getting to be winter. Less food for the predators.

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Love your turkey hope she wont be xmas dinner

5. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    She wont be.

[​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That turkey is a beauty. Protect her!

7. perchie.girl

Quote:Aaawww.... sweet

Are Black Spanish the kind that dont get so immense they have to be butchered before their legs break. Is she a good Flier? My two flew very well even after they were mature which kept them alive longer than the chickens....

deb

8. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I had two mother and daughter but the coyotes wanted them more than me. Shes the mother(I think) Shell do 6' vertical jump If she gets running she will go up and over my truck longways. Both wings have been clipped.... and from what i can tell she doesnt get big. in fact i think shes full grown.

[​IMG]

9. perchie.girl

Quote:This is good very good. I am glad you clipped both wings rather than just one this gives them a chance to evade predators if they need to. When it comes time to get more Turkeys I am going to look at the Spanish.

deb

10. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I didnt clip them. I only clip for paying customers. All my birds have all their feathers. I think it makes them less appealing to the eye. Plus ive got 300 acres they can fly around on. Ive got BS, RP, and a couple other turkey breeds either in the bator or going in this week.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by