Management and Coccidia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deineria, Jun 25, 2011.

1. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I keep loosing chicks - not young chicks, but I hatchin in groups of 20-40 - never loose any inside, but once they are moved outside and
    hit the 8-10 week mark, I always loose 10-15% anymore.
    I believe it is coccidia because of the way the chick suddenly just drops after a day or so of acting off, until I can let them free range, they are a bit cramped on space in the 5-15 week
    age group. I always feed medicated feed, but obviously it isn't enough.

I THROUGH loosing chicks - I don't have the ability right now to build anything larger to transition them from indoors to free range, but I simply cannot continue to
    loose chicks. I LOST 3 Lav. Orps today! I lost 6 Bw/w Ameraucanas last month [​IMG]

They are in pens with mostly wire bottoms - so the droppings do not remain in the pens -

Could it be wise to use the 20% Corid powder every 21 days for 5 days as I do in my goat herd until the chicks are moved to free range?
    If so, what is the dosage?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The first link is a general article about cocci. The second one is the only one I could inf that talks about dosing the powder -- of course it is for cattle so you have to do some arithmetic. I think in your situation I'd definitely put them on Corid and hope that is the problem and that Corid will get it.

http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

http://www.corid.com/pdf/CORID9.6.pdf

The amount of amprolium (Corid) in medicated feed is small enough not to worry about double dosing them.

3. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    We are NPIP, so I can't imagine what else is going on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by