managing dogs

justcackle

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Has anyone had success on training dog not to kill chickens. I know everyone says once they have killed they will always kill but someone give me some hope!!! I have a border collie any you would think she would help the chickens not hurt them!!

my 1 yr/old german shepherd killed 10 of my 14 chicks this last week. it was my fault i left a gate open. i then bought some chicks from a lady. she had several pit bulls, little rat terriers & some mutts (about 8 dogs). they are left loose with loose chickens, ducks, geese walking around honking while she is not home. (she had just drove up to her driveway as we got there) i asked her how she did it.
she said she specifically introduced the chickens to her dogs (individually). the dogs (individually) would go into the feeding pens w/her. she would have her husband hold the dog on a leash, she would sit down holding a chicken. she would stroke the chicken talking to it. she would stroke the dogs face with the chicken, making sure hubby had a good hold. the instant the dog reacted in a way she didn't want she would sharply say "no-no" & slap her hands together. she would sometimes hold the chicken upside down so that it was flapping it's wings. the instant a dog would react she would again slap her hands together & say no no in a sharp voice.
she said that seemed to communicate to the dogs that the chickens were important to her and part of the "pack". she accomplished this with rescue dogs in a matter of a couple of days. she always put the chickens up at night.

i don't know if she had a secret ability or if this works. i'm going to be doing this when my chicks get a bit older. i sealed that one gate shut & i won't make that mistake again, but i don't want to worry that my dogs are going to kill my birds first chance they get.

A friend of myne has a doderman and it just to want to play with them so then every time it killed a chook they wood tyed to its collar for a day. after two chooks it got the message but I'm sure there would be lots better ways:/

Trying to get my dog to love my chicks also... right now I take him(the dog) with me everytime I clean the brooder. Ill grab each chick and put her in front of my dog slowly awarding for good behavior and scolding for bad. I hope this works.

my 1 yr/old german shepherd killed 10 of my 14 chicks this last week. it was my fault i left a gate open. i then bought some chicks from a lady. she had several pit bulls, little rat terriers & some mutts (about 8 dogs). they are left loose with loose chickens, ducks, geese walking around honking while she is not home. (she had just drove up to her driveway as we got there) i asked her how she did it.
she said she specifically introduced the chickens to her dogs (individually). the dogs (individually) would go into the feeding pens w/her. she would have her husband hold the dog on a leash, she would sit down holding a chicken. she would stroke the chicken talking to it. she would stroke the dogs face with the chicken, making sure hubby had a good hold. the instant the dog reacted in a way she didn't want she would sharply say "no-no" & slap her hands together. she would sometimes hold the chicken upside down so that it was flapping it's wings. the instant a dog would react she would again slap her hands together & say no no in a sharp voice.
she said that seemed to communicate to the dogs that the chickens were important to her and part of the "pack". she accomplished this with rescue dogs in a matter of a couple of days. she always put the chickens up at night.

i don't know if she had a secret ability or if this works. i'm going to be doing this when my chicks get a bit older. i sealed that one gate shut & i won't make that mistake again, but i don't want to worry that my dogs are going to kill my birds first chance they get.

I did this same thing but used the words "mine" and "no". When she(dog) looked like she wanted a taste I would tap her snout with my index finger .
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom