managing dogs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by justcackle, Apr 7, 2012.

1. justcackle

justcackle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Has anyone had success on training dog not to kill chickens. I know everyone says once they have killed they will always kill but someone give me some hope!!! I have a border collie any you would think she would help the chickens not hurt them!!

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    my 1 yr/old german shepherd killed 10 of my 14 chicks this last week. it was my fault i left a gate open. i then bought some chicks from a lady. she had several pit bulls, little rat terriers & some mutts (about 8 dogs). they are left loose with loose chickens, ducks, geese walking around honking while she is not home. (she had just drove up to her driveway as we got there) i asked her how she did it.
    she said she specifically introduced the chickens to her dogs (individually). the dogs (individually) would go into the feeding pens w/her. she would have her husband hold the dog on a leash, she would sit down holding a chicken. she would stroke the chicken talking to it. she would stroke the dogs face with the chicken, making sure hubby had a good hold. the instant the dog reacted in a way she didn't want she would sharply say "no-no" & slap her hands together. she would sometimes hold the chicken upside down so that it was flapping it's wings. the instant a dog would react she would again slap her hands together & say no no in a sharp voice.
    she said that seemed to communicate to the dogs that the chickens were important to her and part of the "pack". she accomplished this with rescue dogs in a matter of a couple of days. she always put the chickens up at night.

i don't know if she had a secret ability or if this works. i'm going to be doing this when my chicks get a bit older. i sealed that one gate shut & i won't make that mistake again, but i don't want to worry that my dogs are going to kill my birds first chance they get.

3. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    A friend of myne has a doderman and it just to want to play with them so then every time it killed a chook they wood tyed to its collar for a day. after two chooks it got the message but I'm sure there would be lots better ways:/

4. jschway

jschway Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    olive branch ms
    Trying to get my dog to love my chicks also... right now I take him(the dog) with me everytime I clean the brooder. Ill grab each chick and put her in front of my dog slowly awarding for good behavior and scolding for bad. I hope this works.

5. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Sure it can be done, it takes being firm and starting with fairly well trained dog's.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    I did this same thing but used the words "mine" and "no". When she(dog) looked like she wanted a taste I would tap her snout with my index finger . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by