Managing flock in Collapsing Economy: Bye Bye Birdies.

Quote:
Food, water, shelter and energy. But, you can't really do anything without a decent piece of turf.

You are absolutely right!!! No turf, no goodies~
smile.png

=====

I've got my turf! It's only 2 acres, and we've only been here less than a year, but we're working hard!

I haven't read all the posts but I have listened to my older family members who lived thru the great depression and most of them had their own flock. My uncles have told many stories about the chickens being their main source of protein, they used the eggs, chicks and extra roos as trade for other things they needed.. When everything was used for feeding the family--the chickens ate bugs, worms--scraps from the garden... and paid their own way...

** we must remember: when the going gets tough the tough gets going!! Muscle up, prepare as best you can, look for things you can do NOW to help for later..

First let me say I am not into doom and gloom as a way of life.

But if you are really concerned I suggest the following:

Stand in your front yard and look around, do you see grass (lawn)? In some areas you have a required lawn, but if you don't, dig it out and replace food bearing plants that grows well in your area. Look at your trees? If they are not fruit or nut trees.....time to replace.

Next look at your back yard....

Learn to can, start collecting those craigslist free canning jars now

Realize what you need vs what you want and start saving money spent on wants by skipping them, you can save a lot by stopping drinking, smoking and skipping the soda too.

And last, do some research on those people you are listening too (TV-Radio-Print), make sure they really know what they are talking about. A family friend is a world renowned expert... he also thinks the CIA is watching him through TV sets, the FBI would tap his phone, the feds know where he was if he had an ID Card, so he has no tv, phone, foil on the windows, no drivers license, a basement full of chili and rarely gets more than a few blocks from his house .....and yet people look to him for his knowledge on a subject UFO related. He might be a smart guy and read a lot, but is view of reality is limited due to his own fears.

Quote:
I can understand how on the surface, this sounds horrible. Truth be told, most of us who own guns are not "stock piling" them, but rather have them on hand to protect those we love in the worst case scenario, and to be able to HUNT - if things ever get tight. Harming another human being is the LAST thing any responsible gun owner would ever want to do. Period.

With that said, my hubby and I, in our "Plan B" preparations, have to the best of our ability, prepared to help those who did not prepare, and giving away a few chickens to those in need or some eggs is absolutely in our plans.

Quote:
I can understand how on the surface, this sounds horrible. Truth be told, most of us who own guns are not "stock piling" them, but rather have them on hand to protect those we love in the worst case scenario, and to be able to HUNT - if things ever get tight. Harming another human being is the LAST thing any responsible gun owner would ever want to do. Period.

With that said, my hubby and I, in our "Plan B" preparations, have to the best of our ability, prepared to help those who did not prepare, and giving away a few chickens to those in need or some eggs is absolutely in our plans.

So true! Its much easier to feed you neighbors than to fight them. That being said, its always good to have firearms and some experience with them. At the very least it puts you on equal footing if there's trouble.

HI, This all sounds like a been there done that scenerio to me.
In grade school, we learned to jump under our desks in case of an air raid.
I cannot count the number of times the end of the world has been predicted in my life time.
We learned how to make glutin from flour, folks had bomb shelters in thier back yards..
Wow, living in fear.
I just love my chickens and they love me .a day at a time
Living in the now is a wonderful place for my mind........
smile.png

The economy's bad? It depends on your outlook I guess. I think people constantly saying it's bad causes fear, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I just live my life the best I can, and don't worry too much about the future.

I really and truly believe that God will take care of those who trust in Him.
I also believe that if bad things are going to happen, this is our opportunity to prepare ourselves as best we can. Many good suggestions have been presented here. Basically it all boils down to taking a serious look around and seeing what you can do to make yourself more self-sufficient, and providing for your family as best you can. We don't all have the money or connections to have large swaths of land, but we can use what we do have. Chickens can survive without commercial food, eating bugs and worms and grass, etc. as they really were meant to do. Grow what you can, maintain friendships and keep faith. We can get through this together.

There is a book out there, a fiction book, called Last Light. It is based on the scenario of what would happen if everything that contains computer chips were fried by some sort of Solar burst. Cars stop, no TV, computer, electric plants, Water treatment facilities, banks, ...etc. People survive. They learn the value of a horse, an oil lamp, a garden, livestock, guns, bartering and friends. They learn to rely on God. They learn to use what they have in new ways.

I have no fear for the future. Change is just a new adventure waiting to be tackled. Bring it on!

Back
Top Bottom