Managing flock in Collapsing Economy: Bye Bye Birdies.

I agree with others that say your chickens will be ok. My story though not the same as you are predicting is.... We recently were involved in the floods over here that effected qld. Though we ourselves were not flooded our little town went under and was cut off. No way in or out for 8 days and no shops, no fuel etc. We swapped our eggs with neighbours or just plain gave them to people. We also usually have a few drums of fuel on hand so were able to help a few out with that too. It's times like these that make you glad you have your chickens. People love eggs so I am sure you would be able to barter your eggs or increase the value of them to pay for grain etc if needed.

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

OMG I needed that. Thanks for the laugh.

I just got one problem. My neighbors are lean.

hide.gif

We have land, we have a garden, we have ducks and chickens, we have a well fed by a huge aquifer, live on a river, wood stove, Russian fireplace, solar panels...even a fall-out shelter with air circulation and generator, escape hatch to who knows where, we've never opened it. I suspect Jimmy Hoffa is buried in there. (Guy that built the house in 1983 was convinced we were going to go into a deep depression and then get nuked....our outer and inner support walls are 11" thick concrete) So we are ready.....except I am very optimistic that things will turn around
fl.gif

For those interested in being prepared, I highly recommend the BYC sister site, www.sufficientself.com

Same Nifty, same moderators and really fascinating reading. A lot of folks on BYC are also members of the BYC sister sites, the links are at the bottom of most every page.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
Amen. What about the tomato in Gurney's and some of the other catalogs called the "mortgage payer" or "mortgage lifter". . .depression era story. WE WILL SURVIVE this economy. This isn't the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. I worry about food and our independent truckers, because if they shut down we shut down, but this is the time to stand up to the plate and become more and more self-sufficient. My DH is disabled but is talking about getting beef and hogs to help us in rough times ahead. My motto in life is always have a plan. We need to start another thread on here about bare bones survival.

Food, water, shelter and energy. But, you can't really do anything without a decent piece of turf.

You are absolutely right!!! No turf, no goodies~
smile.png

Quote:
i concur!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course to steal them, they have to be caught first! At least that should provide some entertainment...

Quote:
When you have hyperinflation, EVERYONE can pay off their houses. That is, everyone who has a fixed-rate mortgage. That's because your mortgage was lent in old (valuable) dollars, while you are paying it off in new (cheap and plentiful) dollars.

Inflation is great for debtors, terrible for creditors, and bad for the economy in general because uncertainty over the future value of money discourages investment.

GG

Back
Top Bottom