Managing LF Brahma Weight

rubyredder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
Ohio
I've been raising standard Brahmas for about a year now, so I'm pretty new at them, and I've noticed that they can pack on the pounds pretty quickly. I've been "holding them back" it seems like so they don't get fat. I've been feeding Kalmbach all natural layer crumble with 17% protein and they seem to be doing well as long as I'm vigilant and measure their feed and not allow them to have feed 24/7.

I was just wondering what everyone else feeds their Brahmas and if you have the same issue when them getting heavy easily? I'd love to hear suggestions.

Brahmas are large full bodied hens. I wouldn't restict their feed. They aren't the best layers to begin with and I'm not going to give them any excuse to not lay. My LB is molting right now and she's actually much smaller than I thought she is under all those feathers.

I've had brahmas for about six years and I've always gave them all they would eat without any problems. I give them 16% layer in the spring-fall and a 20% all flock over the winter when they aren't laying.

x3!!! These are not Cornishx meat birds, these birds need to eat and grow. Restricting their feed only causes malnutrition, not health. If you are feeding a lot of 'extras', cut that back.
I like the all-flock feeds like Flock Raiser, with separate oyster shell. Layer diets are really meant for smaller birds, not big Brahmas.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom