Managing mice without cats

Loriemarler

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Blanchard OK
I saw signs of mice near my chicken pen in the barn over the weekend. Anyone have any ideas to help control them without getting a cat? I am thinking of picking up the feed pan at night and possibly getting some snap traps. This winter has been brutal and I am seeing field mice from my neighbors pasture in the barn looking for food. I don't ever remember a winter like this here or a mouse problem.
Poison is a no no right?

Last edited:
I had rats in my coop last winter. I did use d-con, I just pushed it way, way down the holes as far as I could. No more rats, never saw a dead rat, never smelled a dead rat.
idunno.gif

5 gallon water bucket traps are good, so are snap traps as long as the birds can't get to them. When I tried snap traps I put a milk crate over them, weighted down so the birds couldn't get to the trap but the target critter could still get through the holes.

Donrae, What are 5 gallon water bucket traps? We live in a neighborhood and I am hesitant (not opposed) to using poison due to the wandering cats and dogs. I would use it if I knew other domestic critters wouldn't get it.

Has anyone used those sonic noise things? Do they work?

Also....
smile.png
If anyone has advice on managing rats and mice, please let me know what you do. We have gotten a cat, but needs to be fixed before we set her outside. Our feed is in metal containers and the feed shed is kept pretty clean... I know this can be the source of the problem.

Thanx again!

[COLOR=800080]Also.... :)  If anyone has advice on managing rats and mice, please let me know what you do.  We have gotten a cat, but needs to be fixed before we set her outside.  Our feed is in metal containers and the feed shed is kept pretty clean...  I know this can be the source of the problem.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]Thanx again![/COLOR]

Bungee the metal containers where food is kept so nothing can get in.

I use a poison that goes inside of a locked black box that only a mouse or rat can get into.

The dogs, horses, ducks, chickens and geese have virtually no access to the boxes and the poison keeps the rats and mice away!!!!!!!!

Snap traps work well, and need to be out of reach of other critters. Set them along walls, and where you have seen mouse sign. My barn cat really helps with mice, but not so much with rats. Metal storage containers are essential! I've used bucket traps, they do help. The year rats moved in, I had to confine everyone and use poison. Mary

I made 2 of the water bucket traps and they were nooooo good. I was so excited, too. Finally got the black box with lock and some poison. Do u know u had to give them my name & address when I bought it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom