managing post attack

Alyssabham

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
Hello,
A coyote got 2, maybe 3 (one is still missing) of our hens in our front yard this morning. Broad daylight, right by the house. It was awful!
As of now, we only have one that survived. She seems unharmed, but I know she will get lonely quickly. I’d love any tips for how to transition and make it easier on our one remaining.
We do have 3 chicks in a brooder that are about 7-8 weeks old now, so that’s an option as well. Any help is appreciated!

So sorry!
Those chicks in the brooder are plenty old enough to move to the coop, so move them out there, with a chicken wire barrier, as @sourland mentioned. She may be delighted to have their company! I also hope your missing bird shows up, and that you will modify your plans so the birds are safer.
Electric fencing is really good, if it's legal where you live. Or, a very secure run, because that very bold coyote will be back very soon.
Can you safely shoot this individual? I wouldn't be happy with one in my yard either. They will take cats and small dogs too.
Electric poultry netting from Premier1supplies.com, and their other electric fencing options, all good.
Mary

So sorry!
Those chicks in the brooder are plenty old enough to move to the coop, so move them out there, with a chicken wire barrier, as @sourland mentioned. She may be delighted to have their company! I also hope your missing bird shows up, and that you will modify your plans so the birds are safer.
Electric fencing is really good, if it's legal where you live. Or, a very secure run, because that very bold coyote will be back very soon.
Can you safely shoot this individual? I wouldn't be happy with one in my yard either. They will take cats and small dogs too.
Electric poultry netting from Premier1supplies.com, and their other electric fencing options, all good.
Mary

Yes, I think we’ll move the chicks in so she has company. My hens free range, so this happened when they were out of the coop/run. We’ve never had an issue until today, I’m shocked for sure!
Im also hoping my Sussex is hiding somewhere. My Ameraucana is still roaming around like everything is fine, but I’m sure she misses her flock mates!

Sorry for the loss. Hopefully the missing hen is just hiding and will return this evening. Depending upon the temperatures where you live, I would consider moving the 3 chicks to the coop in a 'see but no touch' manner.

Thanks, we will try this. Although my math was off — they are actually about 5 weeks old. But we will put them in sooner than later

Electric poultry fence is amazing. Its moveable, gives lots of room, and even keeps bears out. Mine is 164 feet. That gives basically 1600 square feet for play time, even more if you use the side of a building as a wall.

Hope your girl makes it back.

Back
Top Bottom