Managing the heat?

Quote:
Love these pictures. I keep folding chairs in the coop, hanging up, and I just unfold a chair to sit with the flock and watch their antics. But I like your chairs, it gives the flock a place to perch and rest too.

Swim pools don't help. Hmmm, mine stop panting and spreading their wings after a few minutes in the pool. It must do something for them or they would not go into it on their own. At 100 degrees, mine have open mouths only. By 105+, they have the full wing spread and heavy panting.

My bird baths are constantly in heavy use, the little folks line up in the tree branches, literally, waiting for space to open up. As soon as fresh water goes in, they rush right back. And we watch the little birds in a soft sprinkler spray on the branches of bushes getting right into the constant spray on a hot day. Looks like cooling off to me.

Last edited:
We have had an unusually long heat wave in Southern Nevada. I take their scratch and laying feed and mix it with liquid-usually water or sometimes juice and freeze them in old plastic butter containers and put them out for the girls to peck. Frozen watermelon is a favorite treate. I also take the hose and spray down the areas where they wallow so that the dirt loses some of the heat. Also we have misters installed in each pen so that they can stand under them if they would like.
tongue.png

:/If I'm not mistaken isn't scratch ground up corn.If it is then I don,t recommend giving them scratch or corn.These are feed that produces body heat and they don't need it.The corn is good to feed in the winter for nutriention and helps to produce body heat.Sometimes we need to see what we feed our chickens and what it does.Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom