Managing your flock to keep them laying

nucksnest

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Boise Idaho

How do you manage your flock to constantly keep them laying? I want to add two marans but since zoning just let's me have 6 I want to know if I should space them one year apart or 2. My others are not a year till spring. I have 3 born in March and one born in late may.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Will you replace your birds when they lay below a certain level? Chickens lay fewer eggs every year, though even old birds will lay the occasional egg... General rule of thumb is chickens # wise lay best the first year they lay, and only about half that by age five. So if you plan on keeping your girls long term, the longer you space them out the better if you only have a few birds. First year pullets will also often lay through their first winter without added light (older hens usually will molt and quit laying for the winter if you don't add light.) People keeping birds mostly for production will usually replace them when they start their second full molt or when they are about 2.5 years old.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A large portion of our flock are high volume layers which tend to have shorter laying lives, so I rotate them out about every two years. For example, I last ordered pullet chicks in March 2013 so I will order the next batch of pullet chicks in March 2015. When the new chicks arrive, I will slowly begin to either sell, eat, or give away the older hens. By the time the last of them are gone, the new batch of pullets will be in full lay. I do have to admit however, that occasionally I (or my granddaughter) become so attached to a particular hen that we keep her even after her lay rate has dropped off. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in maintaining your lay rate.

You've gotten good advice, so I will just say I LOVE your avatar, what a bunch of sexy chicks!! Is the artwork yours? Truly glad you joined the flock.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got given some great advice here. Enjoy the site and your chicken ventures!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Good luck with your flock of layers and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Best of luck to you. One thing I will add to what Michael and Kelsie have said, ACV is a great stress reliver and immune booster. You should use this when introducing new birds to the flock as it will keep them all hydrated and healthy.

I am so appreciative of this website, I've learnt so much from you all
My eggs have started pipping today with 1 chick hatched so far.
It's a noisy little thing too. I think the eggs that started today are isa's(neighbours eggs)
I have 4 light sussex as well inside with no action as yet ;(
But I'm pretty sure I saw a couple rocking today so I'm hopeful.
Again I'm very thankful to you all, your advice has been informative to worth a good giggle.

It's a noisy little thing too. I think the eggs that started today are isa's(neighbours eggs)
Again I'm very thankful to you all, your advice has been informative to worth a good giggle.
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on the 1 chick hatch! I hope you get many more!

This is the place to be for all the fun and learning. We are just bursting at the seams with knowledge.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on the hatch!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom