Managong roosters

Wolfie2

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
South of Houston
I've posted before on my hens being featherless on their backs. Hasn't gotten any better.
My rooster is by far the largest bird in the flock and don't take NO for an answer when he wants to breed and that is quite often. I feel sorry for the girls.
I have 2 roosters coming up from chicks that hatched this year. Thinkin about puttin the big guy in the pot and let one or both of the young'uns take over breedin responsibilities. Probably just one of 'em. I have read on this site a statement that was basically... the older hens in the flock will teach the young'uns how to treat a lady or 10. Does this ring true for any of the Backyard?
Thanks in advance for any answers!

Title should've read Managing insread of mnanagong

Last edited:
Ratio is important but you will always have girls that are favorites and some that are so fiesty they won't let a rooster near them. Do you free range or do you have a run? That matters because an aggressive rooster will corner a hen but some of my girls outrun most suitors. Many young roosters are enthusiastic at first but will calm down as the hormones level out. Most important to me is temperament and how well he protects his girls. You can also get saddles to protect your hens but that's not a permanent solution.

basically... the older hens in the flock will teach the young'uns how to treat a lady or 10. Does this ring true for any of the Backyard?
Very generally, yes.
However, the hormonal transition of the cockerels are going to put additional stress on the hens. Only time will tell. If nothing else, the senior rooster will be on the move more trying to drive the cockerels off his hens.
Sometimes you get a cockerel/rooster that targets a specific hen that he wants and will relentlessly pursue her. I had a d'Uccle cockerel that was a little monster towards my Exchequer leghorn. It was not fun. The senior rooster did what he could but with a second cockerel and a flock of 25 hens to look after, he just couldn't keep up.
How many hens do you have?

I've posted before on my hens being featherless on their backs. Hasn't gotten any better.
My rooster is by far the largest bird in the flock and don't take NO for an answer when he wants to breed and that is quite often. I feel sorry for the girls.
I have 2 roosters coming up from chicks that hatched this year. Thinkin about puttin the big guy in the pot and let one or both of the young'uns take over breedin responsibilities. Probably just one of 'em. I have read on this site a statement that was basically... the older hens in the flock will teach the young'uns how to treat a lady or 10. Does this ring true for any of the Backyard?
We have four roosters of varying sizes in with our 50—60 hens, and we do have some featherless gals, but we have a whole bunch of bachelor pads for those who need to be kicked out.
And yes, the girls are very good about putting the young’uns in their places. So no need to worry about that. And if they are raised together, than there shouldn’t be to much fighting between them. 🙂 Hopes this helps.

I keep multiple cockerels and roosters in my flock, but only polite individuals. I don't do saddles, rather plan on having only good boys. There's no place here for cockerels who injure anyone!
Some birds have poorer feather quality, and will get bare spots because of that, and that's a separate issue.
A cockerel or rooster who's 'relentless', given that there's plenty of space, multiple feeders and waterers, and free range time, is just too much!
Right now I have one too many, and he needs to leave, but is basically a reasonable cockerel, or he'd be in the freezer already.
Peace is a wonderful thing! Select away from drama, always.
Mary

Ratio is important but you will always have girls that are favorites and some that are so fiesty they won't let a rooster near them. Do you free range or do you have a run? That matters because an aggressive rooster will corner a hen but some of my girls outrun most suitors. Many young roosters are enthusiastic at first but will calm down as the hormones level out. Most important to me is temperament and how well he protects his girls. You can also get saddles to protect your hens but that's not a permanent solution.
Right now I have 10 hens and the one mature rooster. I figured that was enough to keep him satisfied but I guess not.They are in a 16 X 32' run til mid morning then are in a 1 acre lot until almost dark. I had 3 chicks hatch from a broody hen around May. 2 are males.
The 2 young males have not shown interest in the females yet. Or maybe the big guy has kept them @ bay. The big guy was doing the damage before the chicks were even hatched. Only hen that is not bald on the back now is the one who hatched the chicks and she has stayed outta his way.
Have never had to do saddles before and do not plan on it now. Will get rid of the Roos before that. Don't need the fertilizer anyway .
I should have read the similar threads before posting but thanks for the replies. Always a pleasure to hear from you Folks!

Back
Top Bottom