Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Here she is, are her blackish feathers normal?

I have five mandarin ducks 2 females and three males 2 adults and one juvenile. I have two bantam sebrights that need to go some ware can I place them with the duck? the pen is very large.

You should not put chickens with your ornamental ducks if possible.

Is the coloring on your hen just the typical buff coloring? If she isn't outdoors getting sunlight then that would make sense why it appears dark.

My sebright girls are buff and live in the backyard. What do you mean by that if my sebright girls don't get any sun that that's why they are dark? And what appears dark?

I have a few button quail and people have told me it's ok to put them in the pen since they're so small, but there are few people that said its not ok to place the button quail with the ducks. Which one is right.

Yeah was referring to Buck Oates.

Button Quail are definitely tiny. I wouldn't risk putting them together as there is always the risk of drowning. Plus ducks will have a messier environment (due to the water) which is not ideal for a quail which would prefer a dry location.

You should not put chickens with your ornamental ducks if possible.

Is the coloring on your hen just the typical buff coloring? If she isn't outdoors getting sunlight then that would make sense why it appears dark.

Not like its not buff coloring, its black ( the feather i'm referring to on the wings). so I'm guessing thats not normal for a white mandarin female to have those black feathers? and no she doesn't go outside much, since we're still setting up the aviary and everything, she's a major sweetheart so its not to much trouble, they have a whole room to themselves during the day and just go up at night so i guess its not to bad, we have screen on our windows so we open those up and le them get fresh air and everything. And i consulted with the vet and she said that it is fine what we're doing and shouldn't affect them in anyway

Last edited:
Better pictures would help, but her overall body seems darker just die to a pack of exposure to sunlight. White mandarins do fade in sunlight. It is typical for that patch of darker feathers to be brown and fadea to a light bull, cream color.

Back
Top Bottom