Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Mine had their colors until about Mid June after the ducklings hatched they lost their color. Then are just now starting to get their color.
Thanks. I be been trying to read different sources about their molting and it is still unclear to me.
But with what you have said and what it seems to say from what I read, this is normal. It is very confusing and intriguing.
So now I am thinking they keep their color until mating? If so that is awesome. As you can tell I am clueless about my little ones.
I have domestic Ducks, one goose, lots of chickens, a Peacock and Two potbelly pigs. Everyone is free range. The little guys now come to join everyone for feeding time. I put their food a bit away from other but they join th crowd as often as not.
They are so dang cute. One hen is pinioned and the pair aren’t. I sure hope the pair stay because of the food. If they migrate, about when would that happen? I live in southern Montana. I’m in process of setting up a floating house for them for the winter and feeding.
Thanks for reading my winded inquiry. Carol

Thanks. I be been trying to read different sources about their molting and it is still unclear to me.
But with what you have said and what it seems to say from what I read, this is normal. It is very confusing and intriguing.
So now I am thinking they keep their color until mating? If so that is awesome. As you can tell I am clueless about my little ones.
I have domestic Ducks, one goose, lots of chickens, a Peacock and Two potbelly pigs. Everyone is free range. The little guys now come to join everyone for feeding time. I put their food a bit away from other but they join th crowd as often as not.
They are so dang cute. One hen is pinioned and the pair aren’t. I sure hope the pair stay because of the food. If they migrate, about when would that happen? I live in southern Montana. I’m in process of setting up a floating house for them for the winter and feeding.
Thanks for reading my winded inquiry. Carol
They keep their color until after breeding season then they start to molt and lose their color. They start getting it back in September.
These birds do not migrate that is why here in PA we don't have to have a permit to own them but we do for wood ducks. But when they get their wing feathers they will be gone. I had one get away in Feb. and it took me 5 days and then I had to trap her with meal worms. but the only reason she stayed around is your mate and friends were still penned up. Or she would have left. Mine are in a pen with netting to keep them in and predators out. I don't think they will stay around if they can fly.

also want to say they are social birds so if the pair fly off the other one may die due to loneliness. also if she is pinioned predators can get to her.

Oh, and 3 Emus. I feed them separately in a tall feeder. I just moved the Emus to other side of fence, however the little guys like to go over there and eat the feed that drops onto the ground by the Emu’s feet. Crazy little guys. I wish they wouldn’t do that. The Emus see them as part of the pack but you never know. Their feet are as big as the little guys bodies.

Oh, and 3 Emus. I feed them separately in a tall feeder. I just moved the Emus to other side of fence, however the little guys like to go over there and eat the feed that drops onto the ground by the Emu’s feet. Crazy little guys. I wish they wouldn’t do that. The Emus see them as part of the pack but you never know. Their feet are as big as the little guys bodies.
That is too funny!

Fortunately I live in open high plains and rarely have predators. There aren’t any trees or bushes for them to hide in.
I had the little guys in a large coop when I got them for first two months and eventually would let one out at a time and then gather them in late afternoon. But eventually their clipped wings grew back and they left for the near by manmade pond.
I’m hoping when it gets colder I can get them into chicken coop with feed. I may have to dismantle their big coop and move it down to the pond and feed them there and hopefully catch them that way?
I hope my having them free range doesn’t upset you. I understand about the predators. I do lock up most of my chickens.
In the winter they all go into my barn with about a foot or more of straw on the ground and sleep there at night or all day when it is really cold out.
I’m sure,it sounds crazy. I have more chicks this year and I will be keeping the new ones in the chicken coop ~~~

I have a question about how everyone winters their Mandies. I live in Connecticut (zone 6) and this will be my first winter with them. Do they need any form of heat in their aviary besides keeping the water liquid? Any advice would be great. Here's my split white drake and white hen. No names yet.
20180924_154308.jpg

Back
Top Bottom