Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
They are pretty 'wild' or flighty birds...not very pricey at all compared to so many others, and very plentiful to come by. Many people own them, no permits necessary like with Wood Ducks. I have pairs of 2013 Mandarins (hatched by their mama here in NJ) available. PM me if interested... They are very beautiful (eye candy) ducks...
Lisa

I'm trying to learn about mandarins. Are they friendly birds or wild? I see they're pretty expensive, and limited as far as places to buy! Cute little buggers they are!!
Their friendliness all depends on the owner. If you spend lots of time of with them, then they will be friendly and come right up to when you feed them. They can even eat out of your hand, but mine do not. Mandarins are one of the more common ornamental ducks, and most ornamental duck breeders have them. They may seem expensive compared to a pekin duck, but they are on the lower end compared to diving ducks and sea ducks. The prices are generally reflective of things like rarity, and how hard it is to raise them (meaning low supply) in the ornamental duck world. They are really nice ducks to raise.

Nice calm birds are also the product of how they were reared, how they are kept and where they are housed. The demeanor of the owner also helps, as does a regular routine and feeding items the birds like - lettuce, millet or whatever.

Ducklings with a lot of human exposure - people coming and going, talking, etc. (note I didn't say handling) are calmer than those that are parent reared or reared away from people.

Full-winged birds are usually calmer than pinioned or wing-clipped birds. Knowing they have the option of flying to escape appears to make birds less jumpy.

Birds kept in larger enclosures tend to be calmer for the same reason. They appear to understand that they have the space to move away and aren't as prone to panic.

Hope this is helpful,
DT

...edited because I can't spell

Last edited:
Great photos by Blue creek farm, they are so cute!
Dr Todd, what you said it's very helpful for the people who wants to have ducks.
Thanks

Great photos indeed Blue Creek. Those pics are as good as it gets! Thats why I have and will always have a pair or two flying around here. As Beautiful as they are one would think they would be one of the most expensive as opposed to one of the best priced in the wild duck world. Those are some stunners you have there at your place.

I agree BlueCreek- your photos are stunning! Your Mandarins are such eye popping-eye candy beauties! WOWzers!
droolin.gif
ep.gif

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom