Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
ok heres another question, I've read that babies need to be tamed because you can't tame adults that well

and mandarins are super friendly when they imprint on you, so heres the question what exactly makes them die? if they imprint on you and are calm, how do they die?

ok heres another question, I've read that babies need to be tamed because you can't tame adults that well

and mandarins are super friendly when they imprint on you, so heres the question what exactly makes them die? if they imprint on you and are calm, how do they die? 
Yes adults are harder to tame but with time a patience it's still possible. These little mandarin babies will not imprint on you they will be terrified on you if you get close to them most likely. They die bcus they are being moved around to a new environment than what they're used to and it unsettles them it will cause them to not eat. Even the best waterfowl experts lose birds sometime maybe not mandarins but birds like mergansers and ruddy ducks.

You have to remember these are wild birds not domestics. They will never truly be tame. I only know two or three people who have Extremely tame birds two are jan harteman and mike Lubbock. Two of the biggest waterfowl experts in the world.

People can imprint birds (as cajunfowl0 mentioned) and that results in a bird thinking you are the mom. That does not mean the baby will not die. All babies will imprint on their mom but clearly not every single duckling survives. Imprinting is vital around hatch and immediately after hatching. That's when the bonds are formed. Getting a week old duckling won't work. Plus it will be wild, scared, and lonely... Just don't want you expecting this to be a breeze. Mandarins are not domestic.

People can imprint birds (as cajunfowl0 mentioned) and that results in a bird thinking you are the mom. That does not mean the baby will not die. All babies will imprint on their mom but clearly not every single duckling survives. Imprinting is vital around hatch and immediately after hatching. That's when the bonds are formed. Getting a week old duckling won't work. Plus it will be wild, scared, and lonely... Just don't want you expecting this to be a breeze. Mandarins are not domestic.
oh i completely understand that, but if it imprints with you it usually calms down with your presence such as a new born relaxes when it hears its mothers voice or when its mother is rocking it. i get that it could still possibly die but its less of a chance

It won't imprint on you plain and simple sorry. If you truly love these birds then you will get them when they are older and not in danger of death for your own personal pleasure

Back
Top Bottom