Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

My female was sitting on 10 eggs and now seven of them are dead leaving me with three. She threw out the others probably cleaning, but that many just didn't make sense. I have two males and a female, will the duckling be ok with them? Should I take the pipping eggs out take care of them? Please help me ASAP.

My female was sitting on 10 eggs and now seven of them are dead leaving me with three. She threw out the others probably cleaning, but that many just didn't make sense. I have two males and a female, will the duckling be ok with them? Should I take the pipping eggs out take care of them? Please help me ASAP.

When you say 7 are dead where they hatched ducklings or 7 eggs that didn't fully develop? I had 7 ducklings appear in my aviary on Sunday, they probably hatched Thursday or Friday but only left the nest with mama on Sunday morning, they are in an aviary with 5 males and 5 females, I've spent hours watching them and the males have no interest at all, everyone seems to be getting on really well. They are eating chick crumbs I've provided and they are even catching flies around the pond already.

What a dilemma I have! First 7 ducklings left the nest last weekend from one nest box and have been getting on great, eating drinking, swimming. Today another 8 left their nest with their mom but the mom from the first ducklings has taken them all and wont let the latest mom near her new ducklings, so one duck now has 15 ducklings and the newest mom has none, apart from feeling sorry for the new mom having no babies I'm worried that the other duck wont be able to keep 15 warm at night. There's a week difference in age so the older ducklings are more likely to get under mom for a heat and muscle the wee ones out.

Anyone ever had this happen before?

I've noticed my new mandarin male is looking like he has skin disease but I'm wondering if he's just molting cause my male welsh harliquins head gets all not nice looking in the summer and back to bright shinny green when it gets colde

Are you able to upload a picture? My mandarin started molting already so he could just be molting

My mandarins look pretty ruff when their molting. Feathers flying everywhere and the ducks are half orange and half brown.

Back
Top Bottom