1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mandarin Ducks Sitting on Eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvmydux, Apr 17, 2012.

1. luvmydux

luvmydux Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    So for the first time ever, I have a female mandarin duck sitting on eggs! I am oober excited! However, it seems that she doesn't have a mate:( Will these ducks sit on infertile eggs? Or will she give up if there is nothing in them? She has been sitting for over a week so I am hopeful. I do know that my broody hens are really good at getting rid of "bad" eggs, so I don't know if ducks are the same?? I have 2 females and 5 males total, one female is definately bonded to a male, but not sure about the one sitting. The bonded female goes in the nest too (esp. at night) and there seems to be a lot of eggs! Could they be sharing a nest? What do I do?? So excited for mandarin babies!!!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You might want to try the Ornamental Fowl section for more responses

3. luvmydux

luvmydux Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks Kevin!

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Male ducks have been known to cheat on their spouses, so if she is in with males, her eggs are probably fertile.

I don't know if ducks will throw out eggs that aren't growing. I suppose you could go out there at night and candle eggs, as long as you don't worry that the duck will abandon her nest.

My theory is : leave them alone. I figure they know more about hatching eggs than I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by