Mandated child abuse reporting

Quote:
They are resistant to the medicated shampoos in a lot of places now and much harder to get rid of. Not saying this is the case here but I know of a family that was fatidiously clean and got lice and it took 4 months to get it back under control and that was with a prescription from a Dr.

They even made the school check every kid in the class before they brought their child back to school.

Talk about some peeved parents.

Lice suck.

All I know is that we don't know the whole story, so if the OP thinks something isn't being taken care of, I think it's ok to question it. When DD and I both had lice (I could have screamed for the whole couple weeks I had it - it was horrible), I stayed in CONSTANT contact with daycare, calling every few days to update on our treatment plan. Once I couldn't find any live lice for a week, and couldn't find eggs, I sent her back to daycare, but checked daily to see if other kids had it, or if they found anything. Twice they found egg casing that were old on DD's hair, but no viable eggs or lice.

It took about 2 months to be completely sure it was all done. The hardest was for me - I have long hair, and it took almost two full months to be sure I was completely beastie free. I was better at checking DD's hair than DH was checking on mine. Still - two months to get rid of the things. The main thing is that I kept in contact with daycare about it - even about MY lice. Daycare had no issue, and I think it's because they knew I was going crazy trying to get rid of the darn things.

Suggest the oil method to the parent. I had to deal with lice this summer for the first time,and I found it difficult to get rid of despite the creams,sprays,and nit picking.It takes a good month or more to get rid of them,and then they just go and pick it up all over again at school!

I would not report but I would watch close.Follow up if you ever do report.All the recent child deaths on the news has me so sad wishing the kids could have been saved,like those adopted twins in Florida.

this is going to sound really gross...
sickbyc.gif

BUT...

I only wash my daughters hair when it looks like its getting gross.. like once a week at most.. some times longer
hide.gif
she has a bath every night but I dont wash her hair all the time cause lice like clean hair that they can attach to.. .. knock on wood... she has been clean so far and she is in grade 3... I pick through her hair every sunday... its our before bed time thing

she did however have it when she was 18 months old... caught it from the neighbor

I know someone who WAS reported by the school for this very same thing (rightly so, IMO), so I say yes, it can and should be reported. At the very least, they will hopefully send someone out to check on them and help them get rid of the lice. Plus, you need to make sure that you are covered, too, because you ARE a mandated reporter.

Quote:
When I was in grade school my grandma told my mom to put my hair in tight pig tails and hair stray them in lice season. I never caught them, But my silly sister who huged every person in the school caught them....

I dont know but it was excessful to me, But now as I look back to 1st grade photos I looked like pippi lonstocking
big_smile.png

Thanks so much! Hair spray I can do! I use a little gel/mouse on my son sometimes too. When is lice season?

Well Im in northern Wi, But in the grade school Lice season papers would be sent home to kids in the fall. But lice are known for comming anytime of the year.
Or usually schools will send home a sheet saying the found a confirmed case of lice.

Quote:
A common misconception is that lice infestation is a result of poor hygienic practices. In fact, it is actually believed that head lice prefer clean hair to dirty hair. However, their number increases due to a lack of combing and bathing.

Head lice is more common among girls than boys because they share hats, scarves, hairbrushes, and other hair accessories more frequently.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/cd/cdped.shtml

I had heard this to from my cousins wife who works in a day care... but I don't know if I could do it! I bathe my kids almost every other day and for sure on Saturday before we go to church. I guess I'm one of the weird parents.
hide.gif

Getting chickens has really helped my OCD, so my sister tells me!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much! Hair spray I can do! I use a little gel/mouse on my son sometimes too. When is lice season?

Well Im in northern Wi, But in the grade school Lice season papers would be sent home to kids in the fall. But lice are known for comming anytime of the year.
Or usually schools will send home a sheet saying the found a confirmed case of lice.

Thanks for all the info!

I think you should report it...but I wouldn't go as far as "child abuse". Just tell them that you have a case of blah blah blah, and you're worried it is taking too long to clear up. Don't be confrontational with it, maybe say that they may need additional help at home.

I think saying it's child abuse when it's not is the worse thing you can do to someone. Imagine that persons feelings when they are investigated for child abuse. She could be bleaching everything, but the childs hat at school is what keeps re-infecting them. Does she have any other apparant signs of abuse? Do they come to school dirty, hungry, any marks on them, etc? I realize there are people out there that abuse kids, but it may just be a situation thats hard to get rid of.

So, I would report it to cover your bum, but don't make it out as child abuse. Explain the situation best you can, and they will decide to look into it or not.

Back
Top Bottom