Mange In Chickens?

I think that this is more likely the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me God.

gig.gif
lau.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

This dude was telling the new city dudeit, (meaning you) "Welcome to the neighborhood," either that or else he was trying to con you into letting him "rehome" your hens since he had just relieved you of the city slickers' burden meaning your loquacious roosters.

This guy's name isn't Mr. Haney is it, or your not married to Eddie Albert are you?

Oh by the way, congratulations on your acceptance into your new community!

0.jpg

YES THEY CAN GET MANGE!!!
Mange is a contagious skin disease, characterised by crusty, pruritic dermatitis and hair/feather loss, and caused
by a variety of parasitic mites burrowing in or living on the skin. The French term for mange is ‘la gale’ (Pangui,
1994), and in English, it has been called ‘itch’, ‘scab’, or ‘scabies’ (a term that should be reserved specifically for
mange caused by Sarcoptes scabiei).
Numerous species of mites cause mange in literally hundreds of species of wild and domestic birds and
mammals. In fact, approximately 60 mite families have members that live in or on the skin, hair, or feathers of
homoeothermic vertebrates and are potential mange mites. Specifically, on domestic hosts (i.e. livestock, poultry,
companion and laboratory animals), about 50 mite species in 16 families and 26 genera may cause mange.
Humans are host to the readily transmitted S. scabiei, and human scabies occurs most frequently in elderly
nursing homes and children’s day-care centres. Some other mange mites may cause transient disease in
humans, but infestations seldom persist.
We have a WINNER!!

"Mange" is nothing more than a term used to describe a MITE infestation

I don't know if they get mange or not. But I looked at some chicks at tractor supply today. They looked horrible. They looked to be 3-5 weeks old. Their feathers were thin. Skin was showing underneath. The whole container had a horrible odor. Looked like mange to me. And the smell was disease, not feces. So if they can get it, those have it.

Hello, Im new. I have 2 chickens that I have rescued from a horrible farm. I also have a bunch of heathy girls. Out of the 2 rescues 1 is looking good and the other looks like a crack head! I have had them for a year now and I thought I could help them get better. The crack heads feathers look old and torn up and some are just the pins with nothing on them at all, the rest of her is just skin :(
I have 2 acres for 25 chickens to rome, I never keep them caged in (only at night) I put Diatomaceous in all there favorite dust stops, Feather fixer feed, Cider Vinegar in there water, they get a ton of fresh produce, sprouted everything and I have given her a warm bath with Dr. Bronners soap.
I love her and all my girls but I have noticed a few of the other girls have started to look a bit shabby as well. Is there a cur for mange?
Someone please tell me there is a cure? I don't want to have to get drastic.

Hello, Im new. I have 2 chickens that I have rescued from a horrible farm. I also have a bunch of heathy girls. Out of the 2 rescues 1 is looking good and the other looks like a crack head! I have had them for a year now and I thought I could help them get better. The crack heads feathers look old and torn up and some are just the pins with nothing on them at all, the rest of her is just skin :(
I have 2 acres for 25 chickens to rome, I never keep them caged in (only at night) I put Diatomaceous in all there favorite dust stops, Feather fixer feed, Cider Vinegar in there water, they get a ton of fresh produce, sprouted everything and I have given her a warm bath with Dr. Bronners soap.
I love her and all my girls but I have noticed a few of the other girls have started to look a bit shabby as well. Is there a cur for mange?
Someone please tell me there is a cure? I don't want to have to get drastic.
Damaged feathers don't grow back till molting season. Feathers that have been plucked completely will regrow before molting season. If the feather follicles are too damaged, feathers will never regrow.

I have adopted some hens that were in BAD shape.

They received a warm epsom salt bath. Soaked for 10 minutes. (Chickens had to sit down/lay down in the water.) The gunk came out. The mites came off. New feather regrowth started. Skin healing up. If you want the before pictures/right after bath pics, send me a private message.

The existing feathers are clean, shiny, and growing. It's covering their bald spots. :)

There is hope! And bless you for taking in some chickens that need a new home.

They received a warm epsom salt bath. Soaked for 10 minutes. (Chickens had to sit down/lay down in the water.) The gunk came out. The mites came off. New feather regrowth started. Skin healing up. If you want the before pictures/right after bath pics, send me a private message.

The existing feathers are clean, shiny, and growing. It's covering their bald spots. :)

Thank you so much for the hope! I will bather her with some epsom salts and see what happens.

How much Epsom salts did you use per gallon of water?

YES THEY CAN GET MANGE!!!
Mange is a contagious skin disease, characterised by crusty, pruritic dermatitis and hair/feather loss, and caused
by a variety of parasitic mites burrowing in or living on the skin. The French term for mange is ‘la gale’ (Pangui,
1994), and in English, it has been called ‘itch’, ‘scab’, or ‘scabies’ (a term that should be reserved specifically for
mange caused by Sarcoptes scabiei).
Numerous species of mites cause mange in literally hundreds of species of wild and domestic birds and
mammals. In fact, approximately 60 mite families have members that live in or on the skin, hair, or feathers of
homoeothermic vertebrates and are potential mange mites. Specifically, on domestic hosts (i.e. livestock, poultry,
companion and laboratory animals), about 50 mite species in 16 families and 26 genera may cause mange.
Humans are host to the readily transmitted S. scabiei, and human scabies occurs most frequently in elderly
nursing homes and children’s day-care centres. Some other mange mites may cause transient disease in
humans, but infestations seldom persist.
Good information, but what treatment do you recommend? I have a Buckeye hen showing signs of this.

Damaged feathers don't grow back till molting season. Feathers that have been plucked completely will regrow before molting season. If the feather follicles are too damaged, feathers will never regrow.
Hi...I would like to 1st say regarding the prior statement. I'm sorry, but your comment sounded somewhat sarcastic...about We have a winner, mange is just another word for mites. Actually, everything I have read about "mites" on the Backyard Chicken website has been regarding the "typical" mites. However, my entire chicken flock began suffering from symptoms that were not ANYTHING that were listed in ANY posts in your viewers, even in your archived posts! The symptoms were feathers loss and breakage in the upper tail and back, with progressive yellowish, wrinkling, scabby, scaly skin. This condition continued to progress up their backs and necks, regardless of what kind of mite sprays and coordinating coop cleaning we did! I finally (with much prayer and research) found the answer in a domestic bird website. It was right there! A wild bird MANGE! Yes, it is caused by a mange mite, but NOT the kind that chickens typically get! BUT it CAN be spread to domestic birds and poultry!!! It lives its entire life UNDER the skin. That's why it couldn't be killed by the normal mite sprays. The only cure was Ivermectin treatment once a week for 3 weeks, in conjunction with sanitizing EVERYTHING in the coop, as well as every square inch of the coop itself. Of course, burning the litter inside of the coop, each of the 3 weeks too. I have since, been giving my flock Brewers Yeast with Garlic powder in their feed (Brewers Yeast is a great immune builder and those creepy crawlies don't like the taste of garlic if they do happen to get in the yard and bite your hen, they'll jump back off). Also, I put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water (it needs to be with the "mother"). Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother is a wonderful brand. This also acts as a great immune builder. My flock is doing awesome now and laying eggs like gangbusters, even though the amount of sunlight is waning!!!

Back
Top Bottom