1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Manna Pro Calf Manna

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by twentynine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Lots of you guy probably supplement you chicken feed with this, I recently started with my chickens. Many years ago I used it while raising rabbits, so I do have some experience wit it.
    Here's the question:
    I manna pro available in crumbles? Feeding the pellets to my adults has become problematic, because they spill feed looking for the manna pellets. Also I have a hatch coming soon and I would like to feed to the biddies. No way can the biddies handle the pellet.
    I have attempted to crush the pellets in several techniques, none work very well. Food processor does moderately ok, but it's slow. Meat grinder, it crushes the pellets but quickly becomes jammed, no matter what grid on. 4x4 post with a small bucket, using like a morta and pestal, I'm burning more calaries than the chickens will ever get from the stuff.
    I need your ideas.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It only comes in the pellet.

In my experience Calf Manna works well on dairy goats and cattle but there are better products out there for poultry.

3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009

Ok.
    What products.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If your feeding a regular poultry feed you can switch to a game bird feed.
    If you want to supplement the feed your using now, Animax, Purina Champion Drive and Fitter 35 are good.
    I've even supplemented with floating catfish pellets and had a outcome on poultry than Calf Manna.

5. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    i used to brew beer and the grain crusher would work good...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by