Manners pet peeve's

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
14 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
I was raised in the South and looking around here now you wouldn't know it was anywhere any different than anywhere else. I see folks in restaurants chewing/talking/coughing with their mouth wide open food in it or not. To me....that's just disgusting. I was taught not to do things like that because it does not exemplify politeness and is unsightly. Also, bodily functions, and speak of them, at or around the kitchen or in a dining room has ALWAYS been a huge nasty no-no for me and my family. We are discrete enough to excuse ourselves or at the least apologize profusely for accidentals...KIDS over 3 years old included. I miss manners in our society!!! I was SOOOO proud of this young teen boy yesterday when I came out of a store!! My hands were full and he was walking in as I was walking out. He ACTUALLY stood at the door for a few seconds longer than he had to to hold the door for me. When I said Thank you...he replied with "You're welcome ma'am!" I could've just kissed the kid it was so sweet and gentlemanly!!!! WHY can't we have more like him?!?! I by no means needed him to hold the door for me, and he knew that, but he was polite and did it anyway. No expectations of a thank you I'm sure as so many have omitted those words from their vocabulary these days. I am a young person who appreciates what my family has taught in the way of manners, and I just wish I saw more of it in practice. It makes things so much nicer. There is nothing better than a polite well mannered young person, and nothing worse IMO than a young person who is not. It's just too bad the latter outnumber the others. Anybody else feel this way? What are we teaching our kids? Yeah maybe I am a manners snob, but I don't want to see anyone's chewed up taco, or listen to a kid yell at his mom in a store, or watch a boy enter in front of a girl only to let the door slam in her face. Old fashioned manners are LOVELY!! Lack of them is just ugly..

I totally agree. I was raised the same way but married into a family that I love dearly but they “toot” a lot and don’t say sorry (at least it doesn’t happen in public, just privately). I am raising my kids to not even do that around the family but go somewhere private if they have to.

Another thing that really grosses me out is when you are in a restaurant and someone in the table behind you blows their nose!
sickbyc.gif
GROSS

I agree! You just dont see manners and courtesy used much anymore by both young and old. I had a teacher that would get upset with my son when he would say yes ma'am instead of yes Ms.******. My children were raised with yes/no ma'ams and sirs. I'm very proud to say even though they have grown up and moved out they still use all their manners.

LOL Stupid Bird!!

Yeah I could do without the nose blowing at the table too Karrie13...why not go to the restroom for that?

I am sure with you on this! When I was (more or less) 7years old my uncle stopped by to visit. We were having our supper and he stood in the doorway between the dining room and kitchen. I guess I was pretty excited to tell him something and started talking before my mouth was empty, he very causally told me not to talk with my mouth full. Made quite an impression on me, some 50 years later I remember that like it was yesterday! All it takes for kids is a small reminder like that from a loved one.

Agree all the way. One of my pet peeves is that when you are at the dinner table you remove your hat. Period. When you pledge the flag or pray you remove your hat. I see so many older men and younger men who don't do this. I am not sure of the etiquette for women, I have never worn a hat, so if the same applies to them remove your hat in respect.

Quote:
Personally, my own rule for women in hats is: work hat, same rules as guys. Fancy church or dressy hat, on indoors maybe, but not on when it will be a bother. Since I have never have anything but something to keep the sun off my face, the branches from slapping my eyes, and something to stuff my hair into that keeps it fairly simple.
tongue.png

Pet peeve #1:
Talking on the cell phone when:
you're waiting in the grocery check-out line.
Eating at a dining establishment.
At a movie theater.

I swear, I see this one person EVERYWHERE and he is literally screaming into his cell phone every time I see him.

Back
Top Bottom