Manure Issues -Zoning Board wants clarification

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Chickenhappynh, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Chickenhappynh

Chickenhappynh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

Thank you for reading this post.
    Does anyone have information for proper removal of waste? The board is concerned of smell and contamination of well waters. They would be interested in how other towns have specified the language and also would want articles reassuring them that 6 chickens will not contaminate the well waters in the area.

Thank you for your help.

Almost there, hopefully.

2. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    I am assuming you are from NH. Most towns go by best management practices. Does your town have an agr. commision?

3. Chickenhappynh

Chickenhappynh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am from NH. We have some guidelines but these are based on larger "farms". I would like to adjust the language so it is clearer for BYC owners to manage their waste, without it ending up in the landfill due to restrictions.

Thanks.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

What mandate does the town put on the manure management for dogs? A couple of large dogs create an equal or greater amount of manure, for pity sake. If the town also limits the size of the flock to 3, 5 or 6 birds, the "waste management" could easily be handled in a back yard composter drum that are so popular now. Maybe I'm missing something. If we are talking large flocks of 50 or more birds, then yes, best practices is typically already spelled out by State Agricultural policies, county Ag extensions, or similar. I personally follow the University of Maine's best practices and handling. But it is more geared for the gardener, not so much for the ground water issue.

5. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by