Manure management plan

MeShellsLadys

Hatching
Jun 4, 2020
I have been told by the county conservation district that I must create a manure management plan.
I have implemented a deep litter method for both my coop and my run about a month ago.
They want me to tell them how often I'm getting rid of the manure and how and where so that the nitrogen and phosphorus does not leach into the soil.
Has any one else had to deal with this...if so what have you done

You must have a lot of chickens and got someone’s attention. Never heard of such. I made a 8’x8’ box on the ground in the woods behind my run. It has a thick layer of leaves and I have a metal roofing cover so it doesn’t get wet in the rain. I save mine for the garden. Best fertilizer ever!

I normally have about 20 chickens however I raise some babies and now have about 50 I will soon downsize to about 20 by selling for meat and butchering.

So, did you ask someone or get approached by someone about your poop situation?

I’d like to raise chickens and sell for meat. A good way to pay for other chicken expenses.

That’s kind of what I was figuring. Obviously it’s ok to have chickens where you are. If not they would have tried to get them completely removed. I’d get the regulations and requirements and follow to the absolute minimum requirements. Whoever complained would get a nice long dose of not liking my chickens. I can’t stand a tattletale.

Yep I will not give up....I was told I could have as many chickens as I wanted as long as they don't leave My property. They are in a totally unclosed pen.
2 years ago I had problems with a different person.
The ladies (chickens) and I will win.

Where, in general, are you located? How much land or privacy from neighbors do you have?
I live in a small town in Pa in the middle of the woods. There are houses on both sides of Me, 1 is empty. I have a third of an acre that backs up to a stream.
There are wild animals in our neighborhood every night.
I am thinking of putting up some kind of privacy screen where the 1 nabour is. Not allowed to put up privacy fence because of flood zone.

Back
Top Bottom