Many of my Brand new Quail DEAD!!!!Update 11/5

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoopCrazy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Their toes can get through the 1/2" x 1/2" wire, that's probably how 'it' got them. Just grabbed hold of a toe and pulled. Poor birds [​IMG]

ETA: Even if you had built the shelter box, it probably would have happened. They don't use things like that unless it is super cold.

Your probably right... Lifes lessons... I did get some good outta it though.. My Kids got to learn where food comes from it was a great chance to talk about life and death... I got to learn how to Process Quail... My chickens got plenty of yummy quail for dinner.... And noe I know what all i Have to do to keep theses lil guys safe...

On a side note Shelly My buttons have now laid 2 eggs... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Was I right on the silvers being a boy and girl? Did you figure out what sex the little white one is yet? [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    The white is the only one Ive ever seen crow .. the silvers make this kinda growling sound ... But I am starting to think one of the silvers is a boy as one of them and the white were fighting to beat all the other night .. The white had to go to Button jail for the night... One of the Silvers has a white "necklace" which i was wondering if that would indicate sex?

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The growling sound IS the crow. The hehehe sound is just them talking to each other.

The bib under their chin is sometimes an indicator that it is male, but it's not a sure thing. I had a female silver with a white bib because it was double factor for silver. DF blueface hens can also have white markings on their breasts. The best indicator is the vent feathers. Males will have red/pink/rust colored feathers around their vents, females won't. Obviously the white shouldn't have these, but the silvers should.

ETA: Correction, the crow isn't really 'growling', it's more of a 'windy day' sound. Think of Darth Vader's breathing...'Luke, I am your father'...and that's what the crow sounds like.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    OHHHHH well maybe Im backwards... They make the cutest lil sounds though... You should see peoples faces the first time they come over and here them [​IMG] HEHE

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I edited my post again, the 'crow' is kind of a wind sound [​IMG]

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:She's one of the survivors? If she is that would be so awesome! Oddball was and still is my favorite. Call me to update on them some more [​IMG]

ETA: I wanna see button eggs!!! post some picys

9. Goldlaced_Girl

Goldlaced_Girl Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] so sorry!! TOTAL bummer [​IMG]. Glad to hear about the survivors! Sounds like a coon or weasel to me [​IMG]. Mine are in a shed with really thick walls and a big cage with trays on the bottom, about three feet off the ground. I hope a fisher doesn't get in through the broken window [​IMG]... i think a coon broke it to get into the feed [​IMG] I'm waiting for the glass shop to finish my panels!

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Well I am going to Cull the remainder of my Jumbos tonight.. They have still not started laying nad are not gaining any weight .. Plus they just limp around on there lil chewed off toes.. I havent had any more issues with predators since MASSIVELY beefing up their enclosure.. But I do fear they are going to suffer this winter and would rather put them out of their misery.. Hopefully I can try again next year ... Will be incubating some of my Button eggs over the winter so hopefully I will get good with the incubator...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: