Many of you think I'm "mean.'' Here's my point of view....

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...wow. I'm sure glad everyone knows what it is like to walk a day in another's shoes!
roll.png

Hey man, if it makes you guys feel better to look down on people who are experiencing hard times, then go for it.

thumbsup.gif

(And just to clear things up, I'm not talking about the people who drop cats off on a dark country road, I'm talking unexpected circumstances.)

you know if something comes up ( thats fine) yea, but not this,

He sheds to much
he barks to much
she scrached my child
or you can be the people that dump box's of kitten over animal clink fences.

First of all I want to say that I have lots of animals that are all well-cared for and have all their needs met, like most of us here. I love animals, always have, and hate to see any suffering or ill-treated. Having said that, I also hate to see the effect sticking up for animal welfare seems to have on a lot of people. It seems to turn people against each other. I wish all this concern people have for animals also applied to people. I firmly believe that no matter what, people matter most. It makes me sad when I see comments about hating other people, etc. I know what it looks like to see animals suffering (some of my own family has been guilty of this unfortunately) but it doesn't mean I hate them. It makes me more concerned for those people and their well-being...if they are doing that to animals clearly something is amiss in their own lives. It's very easy to be judgemental; much harder to care about people in spite of their shortcomings or wrongdoings, but probably still the right thing to do.

Quote:
I'm with Ducky. I did just give up my dog and she was placed immediately. I went from working 25 hours a week to working 65-70 hours. It could have never been anticipated (family business) and I have no choice. I thought it would be the best thing for Allegra; she needed people that are home once in a while.

Control animal breeding. Require a breeding license, preferably a really expensive one. I have met so many people that call themselves dog breeders and have no business doing so. I would never buy another animal from a breeder, it's just supporting the chain of unwanted animals.

Quote:
just thought i'd throw my voice in here.... my 1st pittie zeke is from a young woman who loved him with all her heart, trained him like a star, but joined the service to get out of the small town she lived in. her "exboyfriend" was going to keep him but zeke did not like his son (maybe cause the boy poked him with sticks?) so being in a non pitbull friendly county, she put out an appeal to a pit chat group who crossed over to another dog rescue group i belonged to. i live on long island. i drove to southern virginia to pick him up. i am so glad that i did. he is a wonderful example of his breed and a great all around dog, with some cool tricks. we send her pix and keep in touch. she is now in iraq.
my point is she did not take him to a shelter, or turn him loose, or put him down. she looked far and wide to find someone who would appreciate her dog. she was responsible.

but for each responsible person there are at least 10 more irresponsible, but dont get me started as i have 5 dog rescues now in my forever home, and i have fostered/transported many others.

(And just to clear things up, I'm not talking about the people who drop cats off on a dark country road, I'm talking unexpected circumstances.)

If you are talking the owners suddenly died, OK. Economic difficulties, too easy of an excuse. When you take on a responsibility, you plan for it. Have kids, take out life insurance to cover any costs that could happen if you die. Take on a hobby, put some money aside to dispose of whatever costs would apply if something bad happens. Can't afford to, then don't get into it.........it is really that simple. Stop the excuses.

There are many things I'd love to be able to do, can't afford it so I do WITHOUT.

What if you are in the military and suddenly get deployed?

Then don't get a pet. Choice you gave up when you entered the volatile occupation. If you get a pet, have a back up plan when you do get deployed. It's not that hard.

This is a highly emotional topic as always when it appears. If people can discuss this without name calling and be insulting, it will remain open. If not, the moderators will do what we have to do and enforce the forum rules.

okay....everyone who has posted on here MUST care about animals in some way..right?....i understand the O.P.'s original post...it MUST be sooo frustrating and hurtful to walk into work EVERYDAY..and see....smart..sensitive..FEELING animals, STUCK in cages...pacing...whining,(from boredom....loneliness, PAIN,from living in WIRE cages).......PAIN..from missing the owners they knew ALL thier lives...from being scared...can ANYONE imagine this job??...can anyone who REALLY cares about animals imagine..going into work tomorrow..KNOWING that a certain animal you KNOW is friendly..and sweet and JUST WANTS TO LIVE..can you imagine..going into work..knowing that this animal is going to be KILLED cause some irresponsible person took it in..and than "COULDNT"..keep it any more......look..i've had to give up animals before...things HAPPEN...i know this!..but..WHEN IT CAN BE PREVENTED!!....WHY!!....why??..do people get animls..KNOWING....there not READY for them..then just casually turn them in?... and most times they are abused and hurt emotionally(yes..animals have emotions!!)..Why cant people UNDERSTAND why these shelter people get so frustrated??....on the other hand...sometimes these shelter people forget that bad things DO happen to people who REALLY care about thier animals,and that NOT EVERYONE who turns a animal in is a selfish looser....so..it goes BOTH ways..all i can say is....i'd rather see an animal put to sleep kindly....than,starved and abused..and neglected..and beaten...and also..living in an 4x4 wire age for the rest of its life.....Wendy

I find the entire topic brought up by the OP offensive. Spout your holier than thou ideals
somewhere else. It sounds like you need to step away from rescue, you're obviously too burned out to continue...

Posting this flaming thread won't solve any problems and does nothing but anger folks who don't like to be judged by someone who doesn't know them or their situation...

Honestly, I don't usually post on these topics but I hit a breaking point with rescue people who can't handle the inherent nature of their job. You can't dictate to people what they should do in their lives. The job is horrible in many cases and people are selfish, I get it. It's not your job to be judge and jury... how do you think the wives of firemen feel when they're told that their husband is dead because someone chose to smoke in their bed night after night or the doctors that have to keep patching people up who never heed their advice...

These types of professions need a lot of investment to do day in and day out. That's why they call these jobs "labors of love"....

Burnout rates are high because of it. Bashing people doesn't make the problem go away, it only makes the basher feel better....

I don't know why threads like this one even exist, I personally find them insulting...

No good will ever come of them. Do you really think that you're going to "shame" the problem away?....

Sorry, I'm sure this post is probably a thread closer, sorry. Mods can do whatever they like with the post including deleting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom