Many Questions

DuckoJadeo

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
My Dad thinks if the duck can't break out then it's weak. Is this true? Cant other things play a factor? Like being too big for egg, shrink wrapping, maybe other things too, genetics, just how the cookie is going to crumble. He also thinks that the duck should be moving within 5 minutes of being born. I've read they are weak afterwards and need rest. Is this true??

Thanks in advance.

Most poultry are 'moving' to some degree after hatching, though it's typically sporadic and clumsy. But they have to move a lot to get out of the egg, if they don't have the strength, they can't hatch. In a broody hen scenario, eggs that don't hatch are almost always due to problems with the embryo in my experience. It's when eggs are in an incubator that things that shouldn't go wrong can.

My Dad thinks if the duck can't break out then it's weak. Is this true? Cant other things play a factor? Like being too big for egg, shrink wrapping, maybe other things too, genetics, just how the cookie is going to crumble.
Not necessarily. I had one duckling who got too excited and tried to push out early, getting herself stuck halfway through. I had a few in my last hatch who had no egg tooth, making it impossible for them to hatch on their own, despite being perfectly healthy otherwise. There’s certainly other factors than just, “being weak.”
He also thinks that the duck should be moving within 5 minutes of being born. I've read they are weak afterwards and need rest. Is this true??
Yes, they’re weak afterwards. All ducklings I’ve had will immediately fall asleep after hatch; it’s a lot of work! They’ll attempt to move around, of course, but they won’t really have their footing for a few hours / a day.

Back
Top Bottom