Maple tree chips for bedding?

ChicksR4Me

Songster
11 Years
Dec 1, 2008
North East Indiana
My Neighbor is having a very big Maple tree cut down and they are mulching up all the small stuff. They need a place to get rid of the mulch. I wouldn't mind taking it if I could use if for bedding for my chickens. Does anyone know if that would be ok for chickens?

Thanks

the fresh chips will be high in moisture, possible insect infestation, and the possibility of insecticides. i would try to at least dry it out first or take it anyway and use it for landscape mulch.

What flopshot said. Fresh chips, esp. fresh non-coniferous-tree chips, will mold. Sometimes somethin' fierce. I'd spread it (at least some of it) very thinly outdoors to dry, and then use quite carefully and sparingly in the coop... or just use it as mulch or soil amendment for the garden, frankly, which would be a lot easier and safer.

Outdoors in the run is not quite as risky as using it as coop bedding but I still would not put down a super thick layer of totally fresh chippings. Also for many people (totally depends on climate and drainage) they will start to rot down and get wet/smelly/fly-ey at some point and may need to be removed from the run later on, although at that point they will be excellent soil amendment.

Good luck,

Pat

Free Maple chips will work fine if you have a way to dry them....tarps in the sun will work fine, or if you some extra space in a garage to keep the rain off them.

The key here to these free chips working for you, Is the ability to have a dry product, when placing in the coop.

Once you can obtain those dry chips...it's prolly worth the effort, in my opinion.

~ bigzio

Back
Top Bottom