Maran crossing question

dday911

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
I have three black copper hens and one blue copper hen. I have a blue BIRCHEN roo that I want to introduce to the ladies. I understand how the color blue works with the blacks and the blue hen but what will the crosses of birchen to copper produce? Will I get birchen chicks in blue black and splash or copper? Need some help with the genetics please.

Quote:
blue birchen X copper= birchen females and lemon males, blue birchen females and blue lemon males

blue birchen X blue copper= birchen females and lemon males, blue birchen females and blue lemon males, splash females and buff pyle males / splash males.

The lemon color may not show when the birds are young- the same thing for the buff pyle it may take a couple molts for the pigments to show, it depends on the genes of the bird. It could also be that the lemon or buff does not show at all, it depends on the genes the birds carry.

The birchen females may also show some red/buff on their backs.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim,
Thank you so much!
That is exactly what I was wondering.
When you say lemon/ blue is that a recognized color or no?
Like I said, new to the maran game.
I guess I'm asking about the lemon color.... Is that the same as "brassy"?
I assume if I breed the birchen offspring back to a birchen roo, I will throw all birchen chicks.
I hat to lose the copper during the breeding so I guess I need to track down a blue copper roo if I want to continue producing coppers

Last edited:
I would definitely say check out the Marans thread. I'm glad you chose the Marans breed, they are a wonderful breed
wee.gif

Quote:
lemon blue is a recognized variety in modern game and some other breeds.

brassy back is different than lemon blue

F1 birchen female to birchen male = birchen

If the F1 birchen females have some buff or red on their backs this will be inherited by the back cross offspring

Back cross the F1 male ( copper x birchen) offspring to a black copper hen - half of the offspring will be coppers

Tim

Back
Top Bottom