Maran eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kathy1, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I got a cuckoo maran April 28th from MPC, I think she has begun to lay, he eggs are only a tad darker than my RIR's. This is my forst marans, I thought the eggs were darker. Their site says chocolate brown. If my rir's didnt have eggs in the nest I would have thought that the new egg was theirs. Anyone else get marans from them at that time so we can compare?
  2. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    HI , I have 3 Black copper marans and their eggs run from light brown to dark chocolate, so there must be variation in the breed. They are only 8 months old, so maybe it will change?
  3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    it wont change in fact it will get lighter. I have bought several FBCM from breeders who claim to have very dark eggs. Some have started laying they are dark but not as dark as I was expecting. I have 2 more hens that are gonna lay soon, I am holding out hope that they will rank higher than a 5 on the chart.

here is a pic of mine with a brahma egg I also had a RIR that layed a light brown egg and it was much lighter than the eggs my marans lay.

4. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

the egg ont he top is what I have, maybe a tad darker/spotty, but it is just a bit darker than my rir egg. is is possible that it is not from my maran???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by