Maran or Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ashley_tyson, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ashley_tyson

ashley_tyson Hatching

Sep 11, 2019
    Hi all,
    I received this mystery chick in my most recent order. I believe it is 3-4 weeks old, and I’m thinking it is either a blue copper Maran or a blue Orpington. Any ideas? Thanks!
    60848718-D1C4-495B-92F6-A74793328E73.jpeg

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A blue copper marans should have leg feathers. I don't see any on yours so I would assume yours is a blue Orpington.

3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    She’s going to be absolutely beautiful!

AviansLove and ashley_tyson like this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say its a Marans "utility type not French" and likely a cockerel. A Blue Orpington should have stouter legs and much less comb "even a cockerel" at 3-4 weeks. However its still very early to say for sure. Post updated pics in a few weeks.

AviansLove and ashley_tyson like this.
  5. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    This is only an appropriate statement if the Marans is bred to the French Standard versus the UK Standard. French Marans are required to have feathered shanks. Clean-legged birds are the Standard in the UK. When Marans were first imported to the US both varieties were brought in. For many years clean-legged Marans were more popular than those with feathered legs. Now in an attempt to Standardize them here by the APA, feathered legs are generally the norm. However, those with clean legs are still seen fairly often. And for the uneducated backyard breeder or hatchery, the two varieties are crossed without care as they are both Marans, just two different varieties.

That being said, I think the chick in question is probably a Marans. My Orpingtons are generally larger than that at the same age and their legs are usually thicker. Pictures of the chick standing on its own so shape and stance can be evaluated would be helpful.

ashley_tyson likes this.
  6. kristeninprogress

kristeninprogress Chirping

Aug 19, 2019
    Statesboro, GA, USA
    Are you sure it isn't a Sapphire Gem? It looks a lot like my Jasmine. :) IMG_20190820_111843.jpg

ashley_tyson likes this.
  7. ashley_tyson

ashley_tyson Hatching

Sep 11, 2019
    I’m assuming it probably will be a rooster, as it was a freebie they threw in the mix. Thank you for the information!!

ColtHandorf likes this.
  8. ashley_tyson

ashley_tyson Hatching

Sep 11, 2019
    I looked at those once it came in, but I think this one has more of a blue/gray tint than the dark gray/black tint to it. I’ll definitely keep that breed in mind as it gets older!

kristeninprogress likes this.
  9. ashley_tyson

ashley_tyson Hatching

Sep 11, 2019
    Thank you! I will see if I can get some more pictures of it when I get home this evening to see if that will help!

ColtHandorf likes this.
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My two blue copper marans came from My Pet Chicken and both have feathered legs, so that's what I'm going off of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: