Maran or Orpington?

ashley_tyson

Hatching
Sep 11, 2019
Hi all,
I received this mystery chick in my most recent order. I believe it is 3-4 weeks old, and I’m thinking it is either a blue copper Maran or a blue Orpington. Any ideas? Thanks!
60848718-D1C4-495B-92F6-A74793328E73.jpeg

I'd say its a Marans "utility type not French" and likely a cockerel. A Blue Orpington should have stouter legs and much less comb "even a cockerel" at 3-4 weeks. However its still very early to say for sure. Post updated pics in a few weeks.

A blue copper marans should have leg feathers.

This is only an appropriate statement if the Marans is bred to the French Standard versus the UK Standard. French Marans are required to have feathered shanks. Clean-legged birds are the Standard in the UK. When Marans were first imported to the US both varieties were brought in. For many years clean-legged Marans were more popular than those with feathered legs. Now in an attempt to Standardize them here by the APA, feathered legs are generally the norm. However, those with clean legs are still seen fairly often. And for the uneducated backyard breeder or hatchery, the two varieties are crossed without care as they are both Marans, just two different varieties.

That being said, I think the chick in question is probably a Marans. My Orpingtons are generally larger than that at the same age and their legs are usually thicker. Pictures of the chick standing on its own so shape and stance can be evaluated would be helpful.

I'd say its a Marans "utility type not French" and likely a cockerel. A Blue Orpington should have stouter legs and much less comb "even a cockerel" at 3-4 weeks. However its still very early to say for sure. Post updated pics in a few weeks.
I’m assuming it probably will be a rooster, as it was a freebie they threw in the mix. Thank you for the information!!

This is only an appropriate statement if the Marans is bred to the French Standard versus the UK Standard. French Marans are required to have feathered shanks. Clean-legged birds are the Standard in the UK. When Marans were first imported to the US both varieties were brought in. For many years clean-legged Marans were more popular than those with feathered legs. Now in an attempt to Standardize them here by the APA, feathered legs are generally the norm. However, those with clean legs are still seen fairly often. And for the uneducated backyard breeder or hatchery, the two varieties are crossed without care as they are both Marans, just two different varieties.

That being said, I think the chick in question is probably a Marans. My Orpingtons are generally larger than that at the same age and their legs are usually thicker. Pictures of the chick standing on its own so shape and stance can be evaluated would be helpful.
Thank you! I will see if I can get some more pictures of it when I get home this evening to see if that will help!

My two blue copper marans came from My Pet Chicken and both have feathered legs, so that's what I'm going off of.

Back
Top Bottom