Maran Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GothChick, Sep 6, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hello,

I am wanting to get a few Black Copper Marans because of the amazing dark chocolate eggs they lay but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I managed to find someone selling some called Cuckoo Marans are they similar? Also do they lay the same colored eggs? Please let me know thanks!

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Cuckoo marans are a barred bird and come in silver and black or golden cuckoo (gold and black barred). Black coppers usually lay those nice dark egg whereas the cuckoos generally lay a lighter egg than the blk. coppers. If you are after egg color you might be disappointed with the cuckoos. Some of the blue and blue copper marans can lay a pretty dark egg depending on the lines they came from. Some of the wheaten marans can be pretty dark too but not as dark as the coppers.

3. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok thanks so much. I will probably just hold out then until I can find someone selling the black copper marans.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

5. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I want to start getting hatching eggs as soon as I get an incubator or one of my orpingtons goes broody. For now I can only get chicks or pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by