marans and olive egger

You first looks half white leghorn, or it is splash(diluted blue). Those other chicks are not black copper, look more like birchen or a mix of colors, I guess they could still be marans. You should send the pictures to the breeder and ask what happened.

I suppose I will send pics or stop back by. She said she'd take the roosters back. They definitely hatched out of marans eggs. Nice dark brown with some speckles. Even the bird that hatched white came from a wonderful dark brown egg. She also has SL wyandottes, BLR wyandottes, Olive eggers, Wheaten ameraucanas, Buff orpingtons, black australorps and assorted silkies. Those are all the birds I saw. She let me come up on the same day I called and she just collected eggs from that day and I incubated them. Some of her birds were able to escape and were "free ranging" from their pens. We want the birds for eggs, so if we get brown eggs, we'll be happy. I wish the ameraucana had turned out to be a hen because a blue egg would have been nice. I picked up a couple of easter eggers (sold as ameraucanas, though they are not) to replace the roos, so we'll see what they lay.

Thanks for the additional input.

The white one is a splash and they do make splash marans. We have two from a blue roo and a blue hen. One is a slim young thing and the other is much chunkier. Both lay dark eggs and have the comb that lays over just a tad. The chunkier one has no feathers on her legs and we thought she might be an orp...until we saw the size of our pure orp splash.
The splash in the pic looks like his crop is full.
I wonder if the white is coming from the olive eggers. What roo did she have with them?

Okay.... I returned the roosters today. Birchen marans. I didn't know she had them. She was pretty happy to have the splash back. At any rate, I know what they are, I have a hen that will lay eventually, and I've added to the flock for more eggs. hatching is mighty fun. I'd do it non stop if there were someone to take all the chicks away....

those are not pure black copper marans they are mixes. if they were pure they wouldnt have white but the red/copper color and on top of that if it came in that much they would be in faults for having to much color. being mixed i wouldnt go by the combs and wattles just yet. the 1st 2 look like cockerels the 3rd looks like a pullet i have (shes a fbcm X dom mix) could have sworn she was a he (they are also younger than yours though) and the last one i am pretty sure is a pullet.

edit: if i put them up on here i can almost gurentee that most would say i have 2 cockerels and 1 pullet based on comb and wattles though i know there are 2 pullets and 1 cockerel if you want to see them just let me know. they hatched on nov. 8th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom