marans eggs color

honorkt

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
i have pure marans hens they laying dark eggs with mix rooster ( i believe his parents marans x oliver)

anyway there daughters laying light brown eggs

so could i back rooster Son to his mothers ( pure marans) so i can darken eggs again?

thank ou

My thoughts are you are only creating BYM's and in doing so your creating lighter egg colors. This would take many generations to get back and basically your working backwards and diluting your dark egg layers.
It would be better to source out a male Marans with dark egg gene to keep your dark eggs.
Only hatching out your darkest eggs to stay consistent.This keeps your Marans progeny "pure" also.

I'm no expert but I'm working with my Marans towards SOP and darker eggs in my program.

My thoughts are you are only creating BYM's and in doing so your creating lighter egg colors. This would take many generations to get back and basically your working backwards and diluting your dark egg layers.
It would be better to source out a male Marans with dark egg gene to keep your dark eggs.
Only hatching out your darkest eggs to stay consistent.This keeps your Marans progeny "pure" also.

I'm no expert but I'm working with my Marans towards SOP and darker eggs in my program.
unfortunately we do not have marans here... and can not import any due rules.

my original rooster hatched from light brown eggs that i think its mix gen.... but hens laying verydark eggs...

so i though now i back one of sons to mothers.. if that work....

unfortunately we do not have marans here... and can not import any due rules.

my original rooster hatched from light brown eggs that i think its mix gen.... but hens laying verydark eggs...

so i though now i back sons to mothers.. if that work....
Oh got ya, again I'm no expert here but basically think of it as mixing the 2 egg colors together.
Example... Hen dark egg+Roo light egg=lighter egg progeny.
So what you need to think about is only backcrossing your cockerels coming from the darkest eggs back to the Dam.
Let me tag a few with more knowledge than I ...
@NatJ @fluffycrow

Oh got ya, again I'm no expert here but basically think of it as mixing the 2 egg colors together.
Example... Hen dark egg+Roo light egg=lighter egg progeny.
So what you need to think about is only backcrossing your cockerels coming from the darkest eggs back to the Dam.
Let me tag a few with more knowledge than I ...
@NatJ @fluffycrow
ya that what im aiming to do ... now collecting dark eggs if any hatch rooster i will cross it to mother

thank you for helpfull comment

Yes, that would be the best way, since you cannot get a pure Marans rooster.

You could cross a male back to his own mother, or to any other hen that lays nice dark eggs.
would that darken eggs alil bit? i have to wait two season to see result.... did you ever do that before or know any???

would that darken eggs alil bit? i have to wait two season to see result.... did you ever do that before or know any???
I have not personally done it, but the basic principle works for many traits.

Cross the rooster you have to a hen with the right egg color.
Take a son, and cross to a hen with the right egg color.
Repeat, as many times as it takes to get a rooster who has the traits you want: in this case, you want one that produces only daughters who lay eggs as dark as the mothers' eggs.

Basically, every time you need a new rooster (or want darker-yet eggs), keep a rooster that is from yet another cross to the Marans. You will be producing roosters that have more and more Marans genes (1/2, 3/4, 7/8, 15/16, 31/32, etc).

Each time you have a rooster with more Marans genes, you have a higher chance of getting dark eggs from his daughters. In each generation, ou will probably find that some daughters lay darker eggs than others (so if you want dark eggs, those are the pullets to keep.)

I have not personally done it, but the basic principle works for many traits.

Cross the rooster you have to a hen with the right egg color.
Repeat, as many times as it takes to get a rooster who has the traits you want: in this case, you want one that produces only daughters who lay eggs as dark as the mothers' eggs.

Basically, every time you need a new rooster (or want darker-yet eggs), keep a rooster that is from yet another cross to the Marans. You will be producing roosters that have more and more Marans genes (1/2, 3/4, 7/8, 15/16, 31/32, etc).

Each time you have a rooster with more Marans genes, you have a higher chance of getting dark eggs from his daughters. In each generation, ou will probably find that some daughters lay darker eggs than others (so if you want dark eggs, those are the pullets to keep.)
thank you very much
that only option i have for now.... I wish those whos selling eggs have alil honest... i love my chickens however i would like to get what i paid for.. the cost is 2 years of hatching and raising my chickes...

^-^

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom