Marans eggs on ebay....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yes and no.

The woman who uses that user name is indeed VP of the Marans of America Club, and those are definitely pretty eggs. OTOH, the ribbon she's boasting about is a "showmanship" ribbon -- which means that most likely the bird wasn't judged on its conformation at all, but rather just on how it was presented. And notice that there are no photos of the parent birds on the auction.

And finally, that person just recently shipped a wheaten pullet to the president of the Marans of America Club -- and neither one of them noticed that the bird has YELLOW legs. Somebody else had to point that out to them. I've got copies of the pics and posts to prove it. So, however well-meaning she may be, she obviously doesn't have as much knowledge about the breed or as many observational skills as she ought to.

Should you buy the eggs? Only you can decide. They look like nice dark eggs. But you need to be careful when you buy off ebay!

Last edited:
I think that it depends on what you are buying for. Most people seem to be buying for egg color and not always confirmation. If that is the case then go ahead I say. She seems to have goo feedback. If you want to show your chickens too then maybe you would do better finding some not so dark eggs that confirm more, and breed for egg color and confirmation.

First off I wouldn't trust any seller who's making a big deal about their birds having won a showmanship ribbon.....that really has nothing to do with the bird itself.

if it seems to good to be true it generally is!!

Last edited:
Now correct me if Im wrong but dont you think 40$ shipping included on those almost black looking copper maran eggs seems to good to be true? I dont have any of those birds but watch what people spend on those eggs and that offer made me want to jump on that deal! That tell me to stay away??? Ask for photos of the parents?? I would think theyd go for alot mor than that-yes???

Last edited:
Quote:
$ 40.00 shipped is pretty cheap for maran eggs from what I have seen. Many of the maran eggs are in the $60-80 range per dozen for decent quality lines.

I just love the disclaimer (in small print)

THIS IS THERE 9TH MONTH AND GETTING NEAR THE END OF THEIR LAYING CYCLE. THESE EGGS ARE FROM THE SAME HENS THAT LAID THE SUPER DARK ONES IN THE PICS ABOVE. YOU WILL HAVE CHICKS THAT CARRY ALL THIS IN THEIR DNA.​

Well- the auction isn't over for 2 days so the price could very well go up. There are pictures of adult birds, and she does say that your eggs will be lighter- but they are from the same stock.
I've given up on shipped eggs that aren't bantam
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom