Marans experts: What is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by irf1983, Nov 1, 2009.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    This was supposed to be a cuckoo pullet. I got it at about 1-2 months old and gave it to my mother, whose chickens promptly scalped it, so I took it back. Now it is huge, and mounts my hens, but i haven't heard a peep out of it much less a crow, and it's between 4-5 months old now. It's only a little bigger than my cuckoo pullet. Is this a roo, and if so, why hasn't it crowed and what color would you call that? Thanks!!

[​IMG]

This is it next to my cuckoo pullet
    [​IMG]

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That is a roo, but I have no clue what you would call the color? Maybe a cuckoo x black copper cross?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's a rooster. My cuckoo roos are much lighter and don't have the reddish on them.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    It appears to be a cross. I had a rooster that I thought would never crow. I think he had been the low guy on the totem pole where he came from. One day I saw him high in a tree. From there he crowed for the first time. I guess he felt safe up there. He crows all the time now.

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I agree with others.Can you give us close-up of your cuckoo pullet.She is too light for girl?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I hadn't even paid any attention to her.....you're right tho, to light for a pullet.....she's the coloring of my roos.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Yes, definitely light for a pullet. But the comb says girl?

The other is definitely a roo, probably a mix.

8. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    They are the same age, very different looking, I'm hoping at least the light one is a girl. definitely a smaller comb than the roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by