Marans? Penedesenca? Mutt?

I was just about to comment on that. Though the APA SOP for Marans calls for feathered legs, originally birds conforming to both French (feather-legged) and UK (clean-legged) Standards were imported to the US. Both varieties are still seen. Clean-legged birds were originally more popular here fifteen years ago. Feathered legs have gained in popularity and that is what the APA members that showed the birds pushed for when getting them accepted to the Standard. Personally I much preferred the clean legs myself.

View attachment 1915786 View attachment 1915787

As for the bird in question, it does look Cream Legbar-esque. But I don't see a crest which usually you see in crosses.
Only the cream legbars have crests. The original legbars are non-crested and there are some breeders pushing for a non-crested cream to be accepted which is why you see people refer to CL as CCL.

That's good to know. They weren't around 15 years ago when I was raising chickens. And I'm trying to be good and only work with English Orpingtons. I'm not a huge fan of the CL/CCL anyway.

Only the cream legbars have crests. The original legbars are non-crested and there are some breeders pushing for a non-crested cream to be accepted which is why you see people refer to CL as CCL.

False, all Legbars regardless of color should have a crest. Adding "Crested" to the name is always redundant. Any Legbar with no crest was either mixed with other breeds to have it bred out of them, or just have poor genes in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom