Marans Roo/ Frizzled Bantam Roo/ Easter Egger

Hilly78

Songster
Dec 4, 2016
Sidney NY
I have a year old BCM Roo & black frizzled Bantam roo both need to be rehomed. I would prefer if they went together but if not I understand both are about a year old. I do also have a marans hen I will throw in with the roo should be laying very soon along with another hen, location Chenango county NY.

Hi there, Hilly! It's Maria.
That's very tempting, as I don't have a chocolate egg layer yet, and it'd be neat to cross the roo with my green egg layers for OEs.
Yet, I already have the potential for at least 10 more breeding groups, so I'm not so sure I should take on another project.

Ok I have three hens and a roo. I believe but not yet confirmed that two hens are leaving this weekend. So I still have the roo and one hen. If you would like either I will hold for you

So, you decided to not keep your Marans? How come? I'd be more inclined for the hen, since I have many roosters. Are you selling the hens & giving away the rooster?

Hi there, Hilly! It's Maria.
That's very tempting, as I don't have a chocolate egg layer yet, and it'd be neat to cross the roo with my green egg layers for OEs.
Yet, I already have the potential for at least 10 more breeding groups, so I'm not so sure I should take on another project.
I'm just trying to downsize even more. I usually regret it. My oldest hen hasn't had an egg yet but I'm sure as soon as it warms up she will. Maybe I will put her in the pen with the Marans Rooster so I can get one generation. I'd like to see the outcome.

I understand, it's a challenge when downsizing. Like last year with the Swedish Flower Hens & Bielefelders, I loved them both but knew if I kept them all, I'd then have to get even more to keep the genetics diversified to continue breeding them. Miss some of them, but for my goals & limited space, it was the best thing to do.
So, the best thing to do is decide what your goals are, how much space, time & coop(s) will be required to reach that goal. And if it's worth it or not. :)

Back
Top Bottom