Marans Roo/ Frizzled Bantam Roo/ Easter Egger

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Hilly78, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Hilly78

Hilly78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2016
    Sidney NY
    I have a year old BCM Roo & black frizzled Bantam roo both need to be rehomed. I would prefer if they went together but if not I understand both are about a year old. I do also have a marans hen I will throw in with the roo should be laying very soon along with another hen, location Chenango county NY.

2. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    Hi there, Hilly! It's Maria.
    That's very tempting, as I don't have a chocolate egg layer yet, and it'd be neat to cross the roo with my green egg layers for OEs.
    Yet, I already have the potential for at least 10 more breeding groups, so I'm not so sure I should take on another project.

3. Hilly78

Dec 4, 2016
    Sidney NY
    Ok I have three hens and a roo. I believe but not yet confirmed that two hens are leaving this weekend. So I still have the roo and one hen. If you would like either I will hold for you

4. myfivegirls

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    So, you decided to not keep your Marans? How come? I'd be more inclined for the hen, since I have many roosters. Are you selling the hens & giving away the rooster?

5. Hilly78

Dec 4, 2016
    Sidney NY
    I'm just trying to downsize even more. I usually regret it. My oldest hen hasn't had an egg yet but I'm sure as soon as it warms up she will. Maybe I will put her in the pen with the Marans Rooster so I can get one generation. I'd like to see the outcome.

6. myfivegirls

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    I understand, it's a challenge when downsizing. Like last year with the Swedish Flower Hens & Bielefelders, I loved them both but knew if I kept them all, I'd then have to get even more to keep the genetics diversified to continue breeding them. Miss some of them, but for my goals & limited space, it was the best thing to do.
    So, the best thing to do is decide what your goals are, how much space, time & coop(s) will be required to reach that goal. And if it's worth it or not. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by